Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default "Why you should seriously consider an AMD PC" Opinion from techradar's Jeremy Laird

This is a great lil piece & kinda shows what I have said for MANY years on various forums then this one & get lambasted by the staunch intel supporter with there blinders on for only intel for the most part:

" But as the years tick by and the computing industry matures, raw performance is gradually becoming less critical. It's now just one part of a broader package and in that context, AMD is much, much more competitive. And that's something I'd personally lost sight of.

A big part of this is the question of "good enough" performance. For some applications, more performance always makes a difference. How quickly you can crunch through a video encode job is pretty much directly proportional to CPU performance, for instance.

However, that doesn't actually equate to the computing experience. As a home PC user, do you sit and wait, watching that encode job? The obvious comparison here is with gaming. Below a certain frame rate, let's call it 30fps on average, gaming becomes unpleasant.

In that context, performance is critical. And yet above a certain frame rate, let's call it 60fps, adding more performance makes absolutely no difference to the gaming experience. "

Read the rest here:

Why you should seriously consider an AMD PC | News | TechRadar

Last edited by terrybear; October 4, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: being more pc/properly worded
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 09:59 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,208

My System Specs

Default

I've always maintained that AMD chips are 'fast enough'. I make the analogy of two cars: One is Toyota Camry, while the other is a Ferrari 458. Given the right conditions (a track, only two people, no luggage) the Ferrari will blow the doors off the Toyota. However, in most situations in which people find themselves, the two cars will be stuck in traffic or limited by speed laws. Ultimately, you've got a lot of wasted potential in the Ferrari, compared to the Toyota.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 10:04 AM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,249

My System Specs

Default

Yup, I have AMD & Intel and they perform different tasks.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 164
Default

The worst sheep floating around are the socket zealots that proclaim AMD keeps things upgrade friendly forever, like that article author. Barely 1 year old, how's that FM1 socket longevity working out?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 10:22 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,419

My System Specs

Default

Sorry, but there's a major flaw in his argument WRT desktop procs.... Intel has been very agressive in pricing it's lower end (yet still better performing @ similar price points) procs and it doesn't address the fact that their BD linup underperforms against it's own legacy PhII line.

I'd also argue that for a good portion of general use PC's these days, encoding time might actually be a major factor. Ripping media is a function that many (if not most) end-users will carry out on a fairly regular basis, and sorry, but in that case the differences can be substantial. Ripping a movie in 1/2 the time means that you can probably get some other work done, or perhaps even do more than one movie a night.

And if we want to talk about software releases.... how about trim support only starting on the 8XX series chipsets?

So basically all that we're left with is backwards socket compatibility which really only affects folks who already own AMD hardware, and in all honesty, for the sake of new tech (like USB3, or upgraded Sata) a person would be better served getting a new MB.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,380

My System Specs

Default

Why you shouldn't build an AMD PC. The amount of power draw from an 8150 is insane and anything you save on your PC up front will show up on your electrical bill by the end of the year... and you will have less performance at the end of the day. Also I have noticed a lot of games are really underperforming with AMD chips to the point where it is not "good enough". Makes i5 seem like a no brainer for me especially considering how cheap they are these days.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
BlueByte's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 531

My System Specs

Default

I run AMD at home because of the core count, I multitask/multi core apps enough that the FX is actually a upgrade over the PII for my needs. I don't think his argument is valid for the low end FX line that he is talking about. APU wise yes, I think the new APU combined with more software running GP GPU will make them more attractive then an i3. Or the very upper end FX line 8150 compared to intel higher end i series the AMD comes out cheaper for performance 30ish% slower at more then 30% difference in cost when taking in two comparable motherboards and cpus for what he calls good enough performance.

I see what he is getting at, but for the audience/price point he is talking about he is wrong. Slow news day for him.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 01:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Why you shouldn't build an AMD PC. The amount of power draw from an 8150 is insane and anything you save on your PC up front will show up on your electrical bill by the end of the year... and you will have less performance at the end of the day. Also I have noticed a lot of games are really underperforming with AMD chips to the point where it is not "good enough". Makes i5 seem like a no brainer for me especially considering how cheap they are these days.
Here's where your argument becomes flawed ..... MOST peaple whom buy the intel's with the intent of gaming or what not ... OVERCLOCK THEM .... soon as ya do that the power goes up + more fans/higher end cooler +++.

In the end of the day you AGAIN show the point of the argument ... where do you this "less preformance at the end of the day"? Cause again if it comes back to gaming ... even MY system doesnt have games it cant play as the "intel" sheeps pc suposivly does better ... BlueByte understands it, OversizedRooster whom I think is also on this forum is ALSO another person whom gets that when you start doing multiple things the amd multi core chips shine vs the intel counterpart.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 01:24 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,063

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Here's where your argument becomes flawed ..... MOST peaple whom buy the intel's with the intent of gaming or what not ... OVERCLOCK THEM .... soon as ya do that the power goes up + more fans/higher end cooler +++.

In the end of the day you AGAIN show the point of the argument ... where do you this "less preformance at the end of the day"? Cause again if it comes back to gaming ... even MY system doesnt have games it cant play as the "intel" sheeps pc suposivly does better ... BlueByte understands it, OversizedRooster whom I think is also on this forum is ALSO another person whom gets that when you start doing multiple things the amd multi core chips shine vs the intel counterpart.
But in games that have issues with multi-core support the FX lags far behind similar Intel builds (i3 and i5 respectively) on the same clock speeds. As my Friend has shown with his WoT build. And anyone who has an 8150 or any of the Unlocked FX processors is going to do the same damn thing and Overclock it, so you argument becomes moot Terry.

Before this FX Fiasco a lot of us ran Dual systems, a lot more people than you give credit for when you call us 'intel' sheeps. Which, by the way stops after this post.

We all had 990X boards, with X6's in them ready to go. And yet, our previous chips were getting clock for clock similarities in the ones that were ment to replace them.

Now, to reverse GBA's analogy. Yes, in most situations you will be more of a Camry than an Enzo. However, should a situation ever come up in life where you suddenly need the HP...you will be glad you made that decision to get the Enzo.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 4, 2012, 01:31 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,483

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Here's where your argument becomes flawed ..... MOST peaple whom buy the intel's with the intent of gaming or what not ... OVERCLOCK THEM .... soon as ya do that the power goes up + more fans/higher end cooler +++.

In the end of the day you AGAIN show the point of the argument ... where do you this "less preformance at the end of the day"? Cause again if it comes back to gaming ... even MY system doesnt have games it cant play as the "intel" sheeps pc suposivly does better ... BlueByte understands it, OversizedRooster whom I think is also on this forum is ALSO another person whom gets that when you start doing multiple things the amd multi core chips shine vs the intel counterpart.

I would hazard a guess that it is a very small percentage of the total Intel chips sold actually get overclocked.

Its proven TODAYS intels outperform AMD's chips almost always. I dont get why people still say this crap and turn it in to a Fanboi argument. Just do your research and buy the product that works the best for you, just like GPU's.

This AMD/Intel Nvidia/AMD fanboi stuff is annoying, and the facts are almost always unfounded facts at that. :(
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"BF3.3" Level 10 GT Case Mod is "Locked and Loaded" Mnpctech Cases 2 July 12, 2012 12:18 PM
Keyboard types "w " when i press "w" matthew2180 Troubleshooting 14 December 20, 2011 09:21 AM
How do i know if my "Drive Controller" is running in "AHCI mode"? Teo3201 Storage 2 October 8, 2011 09:54 PM
3d Vision goes from "gimmick" to "ubiquitous" The RealRollo Video Cards 28 October 21, 2010 03:55 PM
The LG P300 13.3" laptop for gaming...what's your opinion? iggiepop Mobile Computing 3 September 7, 2008 05:22 PM