Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2012, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yes, but what is stopping people to use ARM products themselves to develop third party replacements to AMD HTPC systems was moreso my point.
LOL fair enough, same point as someone could use the new wii u or xb360/720.

Maybe there is something in place in the agreement to prevent that from occuring?
Old October 5, 2012, 10:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
BUT are peaple running stuff in the background while they game or just the game itself ?

I run 2 im's, skype, multiple instances or ie 9 + 1 of firefox, ventrilo + windows media player in the background when I game. In World of Tanks/World of Warplanes high/customizes @ 1080 setting i get 3x-95 fps over various maps.In my 1 other game Combat Arms I generate 40-300+ fps over various maps max details + 4x MSAA @ 1080. Does the i3 do all that ?
Those results arent from the cpu .

2im ,skype, ie and mp and ventrilo in the backround just means lots of ram. yes i keep a wack of stuff open in the backround. The gaming you are talking about, is the GPU doing the work. I too run my primary gaming right with a first gen i3 @ 4.4ghz. and a 660 ti on an asus 25.5" 1920x1200 with all the bells and whistles cranked up with spectacular framerates.
Old October 5, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All my first builds were AMD..... ~4 or so

Then Intel took over as speed king.

One of my clients didn't want to do an AMD build and opted for an Intel build instead (it was high budget).

The main thing that I just found about the Intel processor / Intel chipset / Asus motherboard combo........ it just works! Everything works! No screwing around!

That alone has AMD is serious trouble in my books. Why am I going to screw around with crap that doesn't work when the Intel build just does?

The only AMD builds I've been doing have been low end APU builds now.
Old October 5, 2012, 10:37 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I have sold lots of AMD systems to people who are happy with them. They wanted to pay $399 for AMD, not $449 for intel. These were home PC's for web surfing and msoffice etc.. Of course by this point the PC they were replacing was suffering from windows rot and bloatware so the AMD seemed like a miracle.

I had an HTPC with an AMD chip and a mobo with on board graphics. It could not play 1080p 8gb mkv's, not even after I put in a low end discrete nvidia card in it. I dropped in a core i3 and a $99 mobo and can play 14gb 1080p mkv's without a hitch.

AMD has their nitch, but for me they have been out of the picture since the Athlon Days.

But thank god for AMD, the Athlon really woke up intel. Were it not for them we would probably still be dragging along with 80 stage pipeline power sucking behemoths.

in conclusion, I agree with all of you so please shut up now :)
Old October 5, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

like shut up right now?
Old October 5, 2012, 11:57 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Or your Mom gets it.

Again.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I <3 APU systems with cheap ram and a 500gb HDDs for cheap business builds and HTPCs (Although I'd love to get a fully functional media OS working on one of my Raspberry Pi units which may be the new HTPC for me.)

For cheap gaming builds though I usually prefer I3s with middle range GPUs unless the client is deadset on getting a phenom II.

And for larger budgets it's always an i5 or i7 unlocked core.
Old October 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have had the older e8400 and the q6600 both those processors I did like then I bought an 955 which was a great deal and to be honest the setup between those processors with the same ram and video card was not different in anyways accept for the noise and the heat of the intel. then I blew out my motherboard so I ended up upgrading to 100 with 990 sabertooth and the difference was minimal the only reason why I went this route was because again I got a good deal on the the board cpu and an SSD . I would love to buy Intel but I am not sure if it would be worth the possible dissapointment with the money performance difference ratio , I am talking about the difference that I would notice not the difference that that are said.
when I bought my first SSD I was greatly disapointed becasue of the price and the performance with not that much different.

Then I found out that this was because of the SSD market was more geared towards the Intel then the AMD chips. for some reason or other this made me think of Microsoft and the Unix ways in that Micro soft controls most PC things and I am very very sure they have a few fingers in the Intel pies .

But I will most likely buy a used sandy bridge board and cpu just to see if I notice any significant differences and if there are then I probably will change to intel. As it is though I haven't seen or been fast enough to catch any sales on Intel chips that are good OCers yet .
Old October 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not that there is a conspiracy shadowmeph...its just that AMD seem to be incompetent when it comes to designing southbridges....and their driver team are WAY underfunded. This isnt a big (or noticeable...usually) deal when dealing with HDDs (as they are slow) but when dealing with a single device that can saturate older controllers all by itself...their lack of RnD comes to the forefront and bites the owner on the ass.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 5, 2012, 02:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I just assumed that AMD skimped on the controller and kept TRIM capability out of the chipset because they didn't see where the market was heading. By the time SSDs quickly took hold, AMD had cut their chipset and driver teams, and were aiming at a lower-end market.

TBH though, SSDs are still an enthusiast product; regular users appreciate SSDs after an enthusiast installs it for them (especially if you have a SSD as an OS drive and a HDD as a data drive...most folks would have no clue about this).

So I don't really worry about AMD not having proper SSD support/being late to that game. It did rule out folks like me who crave then snappiness of a SSD, but to the average person it was no big deal. What folks do care about is waiting for that video to be transcoded for their phones, and the heat and related noise. This is where AMD failed for the most part.

Still not finding a good review that shows the latest power/heat/performance comparisons to Intel i3 and i5 setups.
Fold for team #54196