Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
They still make money on the motherboards sold by their partners.

You wouldn't run an i3 with a raid configuration for a home file server?
Well isnt the key thing with having a server core/thread preformance? why wouldnt you run a low end Athlon II / phenom II X4/Core i5 - phenom II X6/Core i7 then? Maybe im just thinking of things in a larger business type of sceme ... kinda like my bud scratching his head going wtf are ya thinking when his former employer a accounting firm he did accounting & pc support-adviser at invested in a new dual socket server but only populated 1 socket with a cpu.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TB, you are conviently forgetting a couple things. 1) AMD also makes chipsets and not just the 'cpu'....maybe the terms "ICH/PCH" or "southbridge" will stir some firing of the old neurons. Same with Intel. Every time someone buys a new mobo...you guessed it a bit of cash goes to either Intel or AMD. It is in there best interest to sell you a NEW chipset along with that new CPU.

2) AMDs drivers have been poor for SSDs. Official support was only added fairly recently (generation wise) and even then it was piss poor.

3) you should already know all this as you tried thread crapping in my sticky thread and knocked you down for it then. It was fanboi BS then and it still is now. I specifically went AMD to try and drum up support for them...and it bit me on the ass. Things that should only take 100hrs were suddenly taking 150hrs...and the results were not as repeatable without FURTHER testing.There is no reasons for anyone interested in going the SSD route to bother with AMD. There feature set and 'sata controller' is inferior.

4) you tried that Intel rig vs AMD rig bs then too....and once again. You were comparing a cpu with with a clock speed of 2.8 vs one with 3.2Ghz...yet you couldnt tell the difference. Sooo why should joe blow get the hotter running cpu that uses more power but is slower clock for clock AND also has less features and less upgrade path?

As I said earlier for the mega budget builds yes sure they are good deal. But that is a hell of a lot different then saying AMD is 'good enough' for the AVERAGE consumer.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 5, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Well isnt the key thing with having a server core/thread preformance? why wouldnt you run a low end Athlon II / phenom II X4/Core i5 - phenom II X6/Core i7 then? Maybe im just thinking of things in a larger business type of sceme ... kinda like my bud scratching his head going wtf are ya thinking when his former employer a accounting firm he did accounting & pc support-adviser at invested in a new dual socket server but only populated 1 socket with a cpu.
Would an i3 not be "good enough" while using less power for a machine that is on all the time? All I'm saying is if you look at just performance sure there are a lot of things that are good enough... It could be argued that good enough happened a while ago and everyone is now wasting their time with performance. I am sure this exact same conversation has come up in the past, hell my P4 1.8 was good enough when I bought it but it isn't any more.

At the end of the day, you pick up the best product in your price range because you don't know what is coming down the line. What is good enough today might not be good enough tomorrow. I can tell you this my AMD Athlon II x2 in my laptop is no longer good enough and I wish I had picked up a first Gen i3 because my girlfriends first gen i3 laptop is still good enough for what I would use it for.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Would an i3 not be "good enough" while using less power for a machine that is on all the time? All I'm saying is if you look at just performance sure there are a lot of things that are good enough... It could be argued that good enough happened a while ago and everyone is now wasting their time with performance. I am sure this exact same conversation has come up in the past, hell my P4 1.8 was good enough when I bought it but it isn't any more.

At the end of the day, you pick up the best product in your price range because you don't know what is coming down the line. What is good enough today might not be good enough tomorrow. I can tell you this my AMD Athlon II x2 in my laptop is no longer good enough and I wish I had picked up a first Gen i3 because my girlfriends first gen i3 laptop is still good enough for what I would use it for.
Well in the instance of a Athlon II X2 mobile vs a i3 1st gen .... well yeah that doesnt suprise me ..

I guess a i3 if your not accessing your server alot + lower power consumption would make sence if it does it well ..... Just the thought of it kinda strikes me like you know someone buying a pentium/celron & building the rest of the system with like a radeon 7970/nvidia 680 .. know what I mean?
Old October 5, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LOL. Yes indeed I do. Every build is different TB. I honestly do believe that AMD are getting better with every refresh and this is great news for us consumers. I just think that 'journalism' like that article is not helping. Good enough is never good enough until a person can choose any two of the following: cheaper, more efficient, powerful (power per clock), better upgrade path.

AMD right now only has 1 of those 4. An argument COULD have been made over upgrade path (until their latest that is)....but like I said earlier its BS. Both companies do their best to force system upgrades every other gen.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 5, 2012, 08:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Although, will AMD be improving their APU much in the future? It's a valid question as we may start to see ARM making it's way into HTPC optioned PCs seeing as Windows 8 now supports it. If AMD stays stagnant we could see their niche of htpc/low power builds be replaced by ARM ones instead, which would be bad for AMD.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Well in the instance of a Athlon II X2 mobile vs a i3 1st gen .... well yeah that doesnt suprise me ..

I guess a i3 if your not accessing your server alot + lower power consumption would make sence if it does it well ..... Just the thought of it kinda strikes me like you know someone buying a pentium/celron & building the rest of the system with like a radeon 7970/nvidia 680 .. know what I mean?
A lot of my friends have had me building them i3 boxes with a 660 or 670 for gaming rigs. The i3 processors (even SB ones at stock) are fantastic processors for your day to day usage and playing modern games with all the bells and whistles when coupled with a good gpu. Because with games these days thats where its at - the gpu. It has taken me many years to finally wise up and realize most people dont need much more than good dual core,lots of ram, a semi speedy hdd , and if gaming a good gpu to back it up.

With that list, I find zero reason to want an amd processor since at that price point.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Although, will AMD be improving their APU much in the future? It's a valid question as we may start to see ARM making it's way into HTPC optioned PCs seeing as Windows 8 now supports it. If AMD stays stagnant we could see their niche of htpc/low power builds be replaced by ARM ones instead, which would be bad for AMD.
You are aware that amd did go into a agreement with arm not to long ago right ?
Old October 5, 2012, 09:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
You are aware that amd did go into a agreement with arm not to long ago right ?
Yes, but what is stopping people to use ARM products themselves to develop third party replacements to AMD HTPC systems was moreso my point.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
A lot of my friends have had me building them i3 boxes with a 660 or 670 for gaming rigs. The i3 processors (even SB ones at stock) are fantastic processors for your day to day usage and playing modern games with all the bells and whistles when coupled with a good gpu. Because with games these days thats where its at - the gpu. It has taken me many years to finally wise up and realize most people dont need much more than good dual core,lots of ram, a semi speedy hdd , and if gaming a good gpu to back it up.

With that list, I find zero reason to want an amd processor since at that price point.
BUT are peaple running stuff in the background while they game or just the game itself ?

I run 2 im's, skype, multiple instances or ie 9 + 1 of firefox, ventrilo + windows media player in the background when I game. In World of Tanks/World of Warplanes high/customizes @ 1080 setting i get 3x-95 fps over various maps.In my 1 other game Combat Arms I generate 40-300+ fps over various maps max details + 4x MSAA @ 1080. Does the i3 do all that ?