Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
But in games that have issues with multi-core support the FX lags far behind similar Intel builds (i3 and i5 respectively) on the same clock speeds. As my Friend has shown with his WoT build. And anyone who has an 8150 or any of the Unlocked FX processors is going to do the same damn thing and Overclock it, so you argument becomes moot Terry.

Before this FX Fiasco a lot of us ran Dual systems, a lot more people than you give credit for when you call us 2.'intel' sheeps. Which,1. by the way stops after this post.

We all had 990X boards, with X6's in them ready to go. And yet, our previous chips were getting clock for clock similarities in the ones that were ment to replace them.

Now, to reverse GBA's analogy. Yes, in most situations you will be more of a Camry than an Enzo. However, should a situation ever come up in life where you suddenly need the HP...you will be glad you made that decision to get the Enzo.

-ST
1. i dont apreciate the way you have such bolded
2. I dont nessicarly mean everyone is a "intel sheep" I am refering to folks whom has ALWAYS went intel & through various means NEVER have bothered with or looked at a amd product with a open mind.

And SORRY for being someone whom has used BOTH in the past & never been influenced by marketing/catch phrase mumbo jumbo. Further i would like to see what numbers have been shot out on WOT's with both amd & intel systems as I did reply in that thread on the forums tryin to find out everyones preformance if what i had was good/bad/indiffrent to other configurations for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I would hazard a guess that it is a very small percentage of the total Intel chips sold actually get overclocked.

Its proven TODAYS intels outperform AMD's chips almost always. I dont get why people still say this crap and turn it in to a Fanboi argument. Just do your research and buy the product that works the best for you, just like GPU's.

This AMD/Intel Nvidia/AMD fanboi stuff is annoying, and the facts are almost always unfounded facts at that. :(
I am sorry but I highly disagree with your coment in bold .... while intel doesnt promote in there advertising overclocking there cpu's .... its the word of mouth that the majority of users especialy gamers whom overclock them. In fact i'll even say that not to many amd chips remain stock either I would also venture to guess as well.

I will also agree, we should TRY to keep "fanboy-ism" like things to a minimum .. but sometimes debates CAN become passionate at times.

Last edited by terrybear; October 4, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Both are good it all comes down to cost and what you plan to use it for and where you need to sync the money in your system.

Some people want more Space (TB HD's etc for media centers) really in this aspect AMD & Intel are going to be pretty much the same.

Some people want encoding again either will work and really how many people sit there and count the minutes/seconds

I found myself recently being somewhat dumb trying to get super good video cards when in all actuallity they in the top range are all only out by 8-15FPS like seriously why pay $100 or more for that little bit of an increase!

I like both AMD and Intel and yes I run all Intel right now except for my HTPC and my mancave tower (used for streaming guy stuff and music for the wife on the weekend (youtube etc)..

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old October 4, 2012, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I've always maintained that AMD chips are 'fast enough'. I make the analogy of two cars: One is Toyota Camry, while the other is a Ferrari 458. Given the right conditions (a track, only two people, no luggage) the Ferrari will blow the doors off the Toyota. However, in most situations in which people find themselves, the two cars will be stuck in traffic or limited by speed laws. Ultimately, you've got a lot of wasted potential in the Ferrari, compared to the Toyota.
I think this is the best analogy I've heard. I bought my i7 200k simply for the reason that I edit video and encode a lot, otherwise I would have bought an AMD based chip. Thank you for the smile and the wonderful analogy!
Old October 4, 2012, 03:57 PM
MVP

Car analogies are almost always silly, but this is less about Toyota vs Ferrari and more like Car A with 200HP vs Car B with 160HP. But still silly because the price difference between those two cars is probably in the thousands and not $25-200 for the PC in most cases. That 160HP car probably has other advantages such as fuel economy and a lower total cost of ownership which isn't really relevant here.

Personally, I'll happily spend $200ish more on a faster, more future-proof PC that I'll use countless hours over a period of 24-36 months. If I upgrade early, chances are that intel part will have better retained its value. Furthermore, I much prefer Intel chipsets, and applications tend to be better optimized for intel platforms.

IMO, AMD only really makes sense if you're on a really tight budget in most scenarios. The savings vs Intel are not great enough to be a factor for me.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

not fond of AMD cpu's, i sure do love their GPU's
Old October 4, 2012, 04:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
1. i dont apreciate the way you have such bolded
2. I dont nessicarly mean everyone is a "intel sheep" I am refering to folks whom has ALWAYS went intel & through various means NEVER have bothered with or looked at a amd product with a open mind.

And SORRY for being someone whom has used BOTH in the past & never been influenced by marketing/catch phrase mumbo jumbo. Further i would like to see what numbers have been shot out on WOT's with both amd & intel systems as I did reply in that thread on the forums tryin to find out everyones preformance if what i had was good/bad/indiffrent to other configurations for the game.
You might not appriciate the term, but for people who can't decode your meaning offending them on the choices they have made is ignorant. You, who wants to make a point of some type should appriciate that. I have always respected people for the decisions they have made, and have as open of a mind as there can be. There were a lot more polite ways to phrase your opening post.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 4, 2012, 04:32 PM
MVP

The irony of bringing fanbois into the discussion is that the fanboi angle benefits the company that's not competitive; in this case, AMD. Despite the clear advantages Intel platforms, many enthusiasts continue to buy AMD out of loyalty or a dislike of Intel.

I'd also like to add that overclocking may seem prevalent in forums such as these or perhaps individual social circles, but it is a fringe activity that most PC users certainly do not partake in. To even suggest that most users overclock is kind of absurd.

The truth is, AMD hasn't been this uncompetitive--almost across the board--since the K6, pre-Athlon days.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Just to throw my $0.02 into the fray... Crosshair IV motherboard. Used it with my 1090T and got 4Ghz stable. Using it now with my 8150, and I've got two threads extra and 4.5Ghz stable. That seems like longevity to me and a pretty decent offering.

Granted FM1 didn't last long, but it was also the first desktop board ever for APUs, which are a pretty new thing. To err is to be human and AMD has err'd in the past, but they fix their issues and I don't seem them changing sockets again so quickly on the APU side.

Between AMD and Intel for gaming, the best point there is ther over 60fps comment. Once you've above that mark, who gives a crap? I play all the time with Intel users and notice no difference for games. Sure, there are things Intel does better, but the are some that AMD does better too (like integrated graphics / APUs).

At the end of the day it doesnt really matter who you pick. But just remember that if Everyone picks Intel, AMD could die. If AMD dies, longevity of the platform or not... we're all screwed. Intel has fixed prices before in order to try to bury AMD when they were "ahead", then got slapped with a billion dollar fine for it. You really think they wouldn't do it again?

Food for thought.
My head hurts.
Dam.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Here is my problem with the whole "AMD is good enough" argument. To kick the dead mule car analogy one last time....you have car A it has a 120HP and gets 20MPG. It costs 18,900. You have car B. It has a 180HP, gets 35MPG and costs 20,000. To me car A is a bad value. Sure it will get you from A to B, but it will cost you more in gas and has the acceleration of a pregnant yak. Good enough is usually just code word for cheap crap. BUT it has to be a lot cheaper than the competition or it aint -by very definition- GOOD ENOUGH.

AMDs right now run hot, eat more power and are less powerful. That is a bad combination. Call me an Intel sheep all you want but that is the cold hard facts. When AMD had the best I ran AMD. Intel are better NOW. This 'good enough' argument is simply pandering to the fanbois.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 4, 2012, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Just to throw my $0.02 into the fray... Crosshair IV motherboard. Used it with my 1090T and got 4Ghz stable. Using it now with my 8150, and I've got two threads extra and 4.5Ghz stable. That seems like longevity to me and a pretty decent offering.

Granted FM1 didn't last long, but it was also the first desktop board ever for APUs, which are a pretty new thing. To err is to be human and AMD has err'd in the past, but they fix their issues and I don't seem them changing sockets again so quickly on the APU side.

Between AMD and Intel for gaming, the best point there is ther over 60fps comment. Once you've above that mark, who gives a crap? I play all the time with Intel users and notice no difference for games. Sure, there are things Intel does better, but the are some that AMD does better too (like integrated graphics / APUs).

At the end of the day it doesnt really matter who you pick. But just remember that if Everyone picks Intel, AMD could die. If AMD dies, longevity of the platform or not... we're all screwed. Intel has fixed prices before in order to try to bury AMD when they were "ahead", then got slapped with a billion dollar fine for it. You really think they wouldn't do it again?

Food for thought.
My head hurts.
Dam.

Exactally, and I have told people time and time again that I want all companies to do well because the second there is no competition, we all end up losing.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com