Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default New PCs coming with pre-installed malware

Just saw this on the BBC: BBC News - Malware inserted on PC production lines, says study

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Just saw this on the BBC: BBC News - Malware inserted on PC production lines, says study

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.
Its an extreme cause, but illustrates another motive for MS to get into hardware. Bloatware has been giving MS-based systems a bad reputation for performance for some time now.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How does this surprise ANYONE in any way? If anything, I am amazed it is not more common. Look at how Google has packaged their malware (android) and yet noone seems to care that the biggest data mining company in existence is trying to get everyone to use their software. It has already been proven that there is tracking/mining software in Android.

Building your own PC, in my mind, is the safest way to own/operate a PC.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That only works if you are smart and most people are not smart.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Allstar

Its only bad if hackers do it, when a company does it is to protect their property Duh :S. ie Sony and root kits???? This was pirated software in China installed in factory images.... no surprise there. How about close to home can we define everything the big OEM's install "malware" looking at you HP.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
How does this surprise ANYONE in any way? If anything, I am amazed it is not more common. Look at how Google has packaged their malware (android) and yet noone seems to care that the biggest data mining company in existence is trying to get everyone to use their software. It has already been proven that there is tracking/mining software in Android.

Building your own PC, in my mind, is the safest way to own/operate a PC.
that data mining software is only found in phones sold in the states not Canada and has been proven.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
that data mining software is only found in phones sold in the states not Canada and has been proven.
How about Europe / Asia?

Would be interesting to know where and what is being used like this.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
Its an extreme cause, but illustrates another motive for MS to get into hardware. Bloatware has been giving MS-based systems a bad reputation for performance for some time now.
That assumes MS contracts a more reliable factory to assemble the hardware than the factories other companies have contracted to assemble their hardware.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's obviously not the same thing, but this reminds me of the new HP Envy my brother bought a little while ago. I was amazed by the amount of garbage HP puts in their computers. From the last time I installed an HP printer I noticed there were an awful lot of 'data collection' boxes or notes hidden in the various installations. I can only imagine what comes with a HP PC....
Old November 4, 2012, 08:18 AM
Allstar

When someone ask me to re install is HP Windows, I say go buy a Windows disk if you want I do it for free. I hate HP like you can't imagine. And now Dell is going the same direction.