Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Valve LINUX OpenGL Maxing FRAPS ( The Register.UK )

Left4Dead porting to LINUX and OpenGL Maxing out FRAPS. 16 % gain

Valve: Games run FASTER on Linux than Windows ? The Register

Development to Linux drivers and OpenGL code making large gains in Gaming.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Damn I hope this continues to move forward and that PC game developers jump on board. There is absolutely no reason for me to be running Microsoft software on my PCs other than gaming and hardware monitoring software.... I'm sure motherboard manufacturers would be able to come up with linux apps if there was enough of a userbase.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 4, 2012, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know that I, along with a lot of my friends would gladly switch over to Linux if the industry support was there. Micro$oft has had a monopoly for far too long in the pc gaming world.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Left4Dead porting to LINUX and OpenGL Maxing out FRAPS. 16 % gain

Valve: Games run FASTER on Linux than Windows ? The Register

Development to Linux drivers and OpenGL code making large gains in Gaming.
This is absolutely no surprise at all and just proves that OpenGL in the long run would greatly benefit everyone.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Do this with a game with non-shitty graphics using a modern engine that pushes a 680 to its limits and THEN I will be impressed. Until then its just a publicity stunt. Step in the right direction...yes. But a big old 'meh' none the less.

Now HOPEFULLY we one day get to the point where an OPEN std is THE STANDARD and not owned by any company but this is just Valve wasting resources on PR.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Screenshots please? There's already been enough "optimizations" that sacrifice video quality for speed. They're also talking much higher FPS than any (commercial) monitor can push:
Quote:
After this work, Left 4 Dead 2 is running at 315 FPS on Linux. That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6)...
Fingers crossed that they'll actually implement what they claim... I'd love to see DirectX get booted the same way Flash is at the moment.
Quote:
  • getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality
  • optimizing a version of L4D2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL
  • porting additional Valve titles
Src: Linux | Valve
Old August 4, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Do this with a game with non-shitty graphics using a modern engine that pushes a 680 to its limits and THEN I will be impressed. Until then its just a publicity stunt. Step in the right direction...yes. But a big old 'meh' none the less.

Now HOPEFULLY we one day get to the point where an OPEN std is THE STANDARD and not owned by any company but this is just Valve wasting resources on PR.
I think the main thing to take from this is that a major developer has made the jump on a major title and shown a significant performance increase.. (granted at a point where
Hopefully this will make other developers look harder at using opengl instead and open up linux as a viable option for gamers...
imagine all the GPU upgrades that would come from not haing to drop $120 on the os... :D

In the article though it says they are hedging their bets against win 8... this is bs to me as every second os from MS is a total flop..

As said above also... I hope this optimization made things look as good as possible while upping the fps.. not just a "we made it do a million fps but it looks like quake"
Old August 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
Allstar

"The Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2 is just part of a larger plan to bring Valve's entire Steam gaming platform to the open source OS as a "hedging strategy" against Windows 8, which Newell believes could be "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

He is not the only one to think so, Microsoft is destroying the PC with Windows 8.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As soon as steam/valve can port its games to linux (ubuntu) I will be switching my rig over. I've got it in on an old laptop and can't wait to be rid of windows. So0 long as video card drivers can keep up, It will all be good.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
As soon as steam/valve can port its games to linux (ubuntu) I will be switching my rig over. I've got it in on an old laptop and can't wait to be rid of windows. So0 long as video card drivers can keep up, It will all be good.
Games devs move to support linux / unix and the drivers will get better even just from the community never mind manufacturers will have to start supporting it.

Tags
left4dead , linux , opengl , valve