Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Ubisoft Installing DRM Rootkit/Trojan[Dailytech] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/55786-ubisoft-installing-drm-rootkit-trojan-dailytech.html)

Fleurious July 30, 2012 09:34 AM

Ubisoft Installing DRM Rootkit/Trojan[Dailytech]

Apparently the following games contain a DRM rootkit that "...allow open access by any website via the opened "door" inside the affected browser." Source
  • 5 Assassinís Creed games;
  • 3 Tom Clancy games;
  • Driver: San Francisco;
  • Settlers 7.
Update: The article was edited to refer to the DRM Rootkit as: "As the plug-in does not mask its presence, in its current form it is closer to an exploitable plug-in aka. an accidental Trojan than a rootkit by definition, hence the text was changed to correct this."

Looks like Ubisoft gets to hang out with Sony in my "never ever buy anything they have any involvement in" list.

SKYMTL July 30, 2012 09:46 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe UPlay is necessary when installing via Steam. I may be wrong though.

frontier204 July 30, 2012 09:48 AM

I'm not surprised - whoever put the slave collar on Ubisoft's developers has been finding the most intrusive DRMs they could get their hands on for a while now.
Ubisoft had my boycott since they put SecuRom DRMs with the hard activation limits (FarCry 2, Assassin's Creed 1) and they definitely didn't gain points for requiring an active Internet connection for 1-player games (Assassin's Creed 2).
When I see an ad for a game that I'm interested in, I do these:
1. Check out a review that actually shows gameplay
2. Google search "<game name> DRM"

There's too many game developers out there that don't do this for me to contribute to those that do.

NyteOwl July 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Yes, I've had issues with every Assassin's Creed game. Minor ones at first and getting progressively worse. The new Uplay client has totally messed up my use of ACR frequently to th point of them all becoming unplayable.

And yes even if you buy through Steam, you still have to use Uplay as well as Steam (log into Steam, and then into Uplay)

sswilson July 30, 2012 11:07 AM

Why do they keep doing this kind of crap? The games are usually cracked before official release, and even those that manage to make it to release without a crack end up pirated within a couple of weeks. This stuff only hurts legitimate consumers.

Wonder how long it'll be before somebody sues based on a security breach because of these kinds of rootkits.

zsamz_ July 30, 2012 11:50 AM

and thats exactly why i wont buy games with drm

Perineum July 30, 2012 12:10 PM

I don't buy Ubisoft games. I pirate them.

PUBZOMBIE September 25, 2012 01:08 PM

I boycot UBI now also. What other industry gets to treat its customers like criminals and still enjoy their custom?

EagerBeaver October 4, 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 645445)
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe UPlay is necessary when installing via Steam. I may be wrong though.

It is necessary.

I bought Splinter Cell: Conviction, wouldn't run in eyefinity or without UPlay so I uninstalled it 5 minutes later. I decided I would never buy a UbiSoft game again, and I'm glad I haven't. :biggrin: