Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le2key View Post
Wow there's actually some of you that would want to go? Going to Mars and never coming back is one the most depressing notions I've ever come across. I'm all for human endeavours and new discoveries but man, the thought of just staying out there alone, never again having the chance to be in the presence of loved/cared ones is just a drab.

It doesn't necessarily mean there is zero chance of ever coming back. They could send recovery missions later. Don't forget that the cost and difficulty of doing a return mission would be way way more than the one way ticket.

Now as for why do this? Well if done right it could very well be the first permanent settlement on a different world. Think about it, the explorers of the past did basically the same thing, sailing out in search of new lands with very little chance of even returning home. If we let something like that stand in our way then we would still be in the caves we all started in.

Old July 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

This is awesome hahahaha.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am sure there is a lineup of people looking for the fame and glory of being the first to inhabit Mars. This is not technically a suicide mission since the goal is to LIVE on Mars. THe problem is that there is no easy way to support these people.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
"We will send humans to Mars in 2023,” he told FoxNews.com. “They will live there the rest of their lives. There will be a habitat waiting for them, and we’ll start sending four people every two years.”
The habitat will consist of several housing structures that Mars One will launch before 2023. In 2016, the company plans to launch the first supply vessel. In 2018, it plans to send a rover.

Having sustainable habitats prepped in advance using only rovers to build it seems like a much more daunting task than actually getting people on Mars. I'm a lot more interested in seeing how they plan to pull this off, given how cavalierly the article mentions this 'minor detail'... espescially when you consider it takes upwards of 10 years to plan and build a bridge here on Earth, using abundant man power and resources.
Old July 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You are talking about resources, I think that such a project is mostly money-driven, if you can hire enough engineers to design the structures and enough money to buy space ships that are only ment for a one-trip flight...

Anyhow, think about it, if it works out that would be a totally incredible learning experience for the human kind and we could then repeat it.

The biggest problem is that the end of the earth being in 2012 as the maya calendar said, this project is unlikely to happen.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean there is zero chance of ever coming back. They could send recovery missions later. Don't forget that the cost and difficulty of doing a return mission would be way way more than the one way ticket.

Now as for why do this? Well if done right it could very well be the first permanent settlement on a different world. Think about it, the explorers of the past did basically the same thing, sailing out in search of new lands with very little chance of even returning home. If we let something like that stand in our way then we would still be in the caves we all started in.
What you're missing is that those people, or early 'pioneers' had very specific reasons for setting off.. some wanted to escape poverty and disease, some saw an entrepreneurial opportunity, and some simply wanted to start a new life - not to mention that most brought their whole families along as well. Exploration alone would make sense if it was a journey into the unknown, but what is there to be discovered on Mars that we don't know already? Our technology is so advanced that we've been able to test out equations on whether or not there is a life (bacteria) on Mars. If this is a forerunner for off world colonization then why isn't the government involved?

I'm not condemning this nor am I against it, just very surprised that there a regular people like you and I that would actually want to go.

Last edited by le2key; July 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old July 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Shackelton Crater on the moon might have water. Man on the moon becomes a posabilty.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...kwUhjw&cad=rja

http://www.google.ca/url?url=http://...Ze9iLA&cad=rja

water

Well the geology world everyone believes that there is water on the moon. It is also generally excepted that the moon used to be a piece of earth until a planetisimal the size of Mars collided with earth... The impact was thought to be so big that the earth melted and chunk of molten earth flew off and assumed orbit around the earth. The spin generated by the ejection made the molten moon spin thus giving it it's round shape. Some people also believe that this is why our planets spin is off kilter because it was knocked off.

So if earth has H20 it would only make sense that the moon would at the very least have traces of it even though since it has no atmosphere a lot of it could have been lost into space.

P.S I would love to go and I know a few of my geology professor would also love to go... imagine being the first geologist to ever to study Mars rocks? Pretty cool stuff, it would make one a legend in the world of geology.

Last edited by JJThomp; July 26, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Water ?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...ImEp1g&cad=rja

(Fox News) There once was water on Mars.

Is it still there and where ????
Old July 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnce View Post
The biggest problem is that the end of the earth being in 2012 as the maya calendar said, this project is unlikely to happen.
It's not the end of the Mayan calendar. It's the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar. Mayan scribes did calendar projections out as far as 7,000 years.

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth
Old July 28, 2012, 09:30 AM
Rookie

The odds of long term survival on Mars are bleak because the planet has no magnetic field to shield from solar radiation.

Tags
mars , one way , space