Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Gigabyte SOC 7970

The first review is here. Not very in depth. Answers some questions regarding all those fans. The good news is it appears to be very quiet.

Here's a quote "When gaming using the stock clocks, stock fan profile, and an open air test bench we could only barely hear the 7970 spin up under load. Inside a case you just won’t hear it, especially not over other fans inside a typical PC case. If you do find the fans slightly too loud, however, given the enormity of this heatsink you can happily turn the fan RPM down to a level that better suits you, and the card will still run well below dangerous temperatures. We were surprised, but these fans aren't actually that loud."

GIGABYTE HD7970 SOC - world first review! - Graphics Cards - Build - Reviews - Atomic MPC
Old July 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Allstar

I'm a bit wary of reviews that don't offer any objective figures. What is quiet to one person is objectionably loud to another. Even if not particularly noisey fans have varying soudn characteristics that make their emanations frequently annoying. I have yet to see fans that small that are anywhere near quiet when run at a speed that provides proper cooling.

Another problem I have with the design is that it now blows all that hot air downward onto the motherboard, raising its chipsets' temperatures. I'd like to see a review that looked objectively and measurably at these things before I'd go for it.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

According to that review the fans pull air through the heatsink, not blow it towards the mobo
Old July 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is it just me that thinks this review reads more like a sales pitch, thought I was on TweakTown for a second ;) ? And I just don't see how pulling all that hot air into your case is a good idea, especially if you are also overclocking the CPU, I have always preferred a blower or RAD to dump the heat out back. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison done by HWC between this (cmon Gigabyte send one for review) and the Powercolor Vortex II HD 7970 3GB, its only 459 and looks like a beast of a GPU. Anyway have a good one!

Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old July 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

all you have to do is put some headers on that thing.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
According to that review the fans pull air through the heatsink, not blow it towards the mobo
Not sure which is worse. That way you pull the hot air off the motherboard chipset through the GPU heatsink. Either way doesn't strike me as a particularly efficient cooling method.
Old July 14, 2012, 04:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Agreed it doesnt look like a good idea to me either