Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2012, 12:10 PM
Allstar

Default HDD price to remain high until 2014

Another article to clear up why the price haven't drop down as fast as it went up.

Hard drive prices to remain above pre-flood levels until 2014 - Components - News - HEXUS.net
Old June 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

28% jump, where? I see 80-110% jumps in pricing here in Canada.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's price fixing between the 2 major players.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
28% jump, where? I see 80-110% jumps in pricing here in Canada.
The 28% rise is the average selling price per unit sold. This does not take into account that people are buying smaller drives because the price went up so much (i.e buying a 1TB instead of a 2TB).

Quote:
I think it's price fixing between the 2 major players.
Take a look at WD and Seagate's reported earnings for the last quarter. Their profit margins are up immensely. Damn straight they are keeping the prices artificially high.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Funny how we are suppose to be protected from this yet every company out there does it but gas companies seem to be the biggest culprits but also a good money maker for our governments.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old June 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
Funny how we are suppose to be protected from this yet every company out there does it but gas companies seem to be the biggest culprits but also a good money maker for our governments.
Yup damn gas companies. Nice how on the news they are talking about how the price of oil is slipping and not as high as it was and was expected to be, yet we are paying more at the pumps then we ever have. All the while the companies post record profits every quarter.

Now back on topic, a perfect example of where prices were and where they are now is a drive that I had purchased just shortly before the floods. I got a WD 3TB green and I paid $129.99 for it. Now from the same store for the same drive it is listed at $169.99 and that is $10 off. So really sticker price we are looking at a $50 increase, which works out to about a 38% increase.

Old June 7, 2012, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

until 2014 ? crap ..these people want our money .,by making us fools .
Old June 7, 2012, 03:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Yup damn gas companies. Nice how on the news they are talking about how the price of oil is slipping and not as high as it was and was expected to be, yet we are paying more at the pumps then we ever have. All the while the companies post record profits every quarter.

Now back on topic, a perfect example of where prices were and where they are now is a drive that I had purchased just shortly before the floods. I got a WD 3TB green and I paid $129.99 for it. Now from the same store for the same drive it is listed at $169.99 and that is $10 off. So really sticker price we are looking at a $50 increase, which works out to about a 38% increase.
The gas issue is not a problem with oil, which is more reasonably priced now that speculators are dropping out -- the problem is refinery capacity. As in, there isn't any, at least not where we need it to be. Oil companies have been closing refineries, or can't get the right type of oil to the right type of refinery (Alberta bitumen can't be processed by refineries set up for Texas sweet crude). It also doesn't help that the primary refinery for the West Coast, the Cherry Point refinery, is still largely offline due to a fire a few months ago.

I find myself wondering about profits versus profit margins on the hard drive side. Profit margins will of course go up when supply suffers a dramatic shock because demand doesn't go down. And even more obviously, prices will decline more slowly than they spiked because it takes a lot more time to rebuild a factory network than it does to flood them.

The corporation will favour increased profits over increased profit margins -- if volume is better for business they'll go for it.

As for protection, well, a) right-wing ideologies say government should not intervene in markets, and ignore the fact that ideology is based upon a non-existent ideal market and b) companies facing the same conditions will react the same way without need for collusion. And really, if one had the opportunity to increase their profits by selling more units at a lower price (undercutting the competition) they would -- collusion doesn't last because the incentive to cheat is great.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't let the retailers off here too. They are also adding in their markups which are making them good profits as well. With any luck we can get Linus to chime in here and try once again to explain how it is fair for retailers to make so much off this stuff as well. The consumer is getting raped by all parties in this deal.....
Old June 7, 2012, 11:02 PM
Rookie

I guess I won't be buying a hard drive anytime soon :(