Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
Allstar

Need to organize a one week boycott, as international as possible - nobody by any storage devices for 1 week. See how they like it then.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrgh, I need to buy a drive to replace one of my failing ones...I was really hoping they would start going down.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Need to organize a one week boycott, as international as possible - nobody by any storage devices for 1 week. See how they like it then.
It would be -at best- just a blip on their radar. The big boys / oem mfg'ers are sucking up everything they can get their hands on (and most now have multi-year contracts in place to ensure THEY get first dibs on anything made)....this is not a demand issue...its a supply issue. As in lack of it. Plus....after that week is up...peeps would go back to buying either Brand A or Brand B....and nothing would change.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 8, 2012, 03:59 PM
Rookie

going to SSD, they're falling, recently got a vertex 3 120 gb for $75 (retail) and a 240gb for $150 (kijiji)
Old June 9, 2012, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It would be -at best- just a blip on their radar. The big boys / oem mfg'ers are sucking up everything they can get their hands on (and most now have multi-year contracts in place to ensure THEY get first dibs on anything made)....this is not a demand issue...its a supply issue. As in lack of it. Plus....after that week is up...peeps would go back to buying either Brand A or Brand B....and nothing would change.
And price-wise, those big contracts which assure the OEMs of supply are locked in at high prices. They're paying a premium to ensure supply, and due to the contract that premium will actually increase as supply starts to return and average manufacturing cost drops. Thus the hard drive manufacturers have no incentive to prioritize the retail market over the OEM market; retail contracts are short-term and therefore would drop in price sooner than the OEM contracts (if they were equally supplied).

In economics, the term is "sticky prices."
Old June 9, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the "free market."
Old June 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AKG is 100% correct. The retail market is insignificant in regards to sales.
Old June 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Anyone who thought prices would fall right away were fooling themselves.

As for retailers marking up drive prices a bit, what should we expect? If people are willing to spend $XXX on a drive, then thats the price they should set it at. They are in the business of making money. The margins on computer equipment are also pretty thin as it is, so if they can find a product that people are willing to pay a premium for you can bet they will charge it.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 10, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The problem I have with retailers is that within the hour of the announced shortages, all retailers doubled prices on stock they already had claiming it was due to shortages that were not even physically realized yet. THEN, Linus came on here chiming how it was fair and reasonable practice since they had to pad their future profits against the lost profits. Considering they have lost hardly a cent during this manufactured crisis and most likely they turned more profit, it is hypocritical of ANY retailer to claim they had to and that they are not making the same or more profit.

That is my problem with it.
Old June 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I understand what you are saying b1...since they claim 'prices are high because of shortages', then the same logic should apply when the supply rises again.

But I guess retailers just can't come out and say 'we have left the prices high because you people were willing to pay high prices, so we decided to make some more money on the drives.'
Fold for team #54196