Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2012, 12:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow (Updated) GTX 680 Release Driver Limits PCIe to Gen 2.0 on X79/SNB-E [techPowerUp]

"Users of systems running Core i7 processors in the LGA2011 package and X79 chipset motherboards will find that their GeForce GTX 680 will not run at PCI-Express 3.0 x16 mode, using launch drivers. This is because NVIDIA decided against implementing Gen 3.0 support for the new GPU on X79/SNB-E systems, at the very last moment. Pre-launch drivers, including the driver that ships on discs with the graphics cards, and review drivers (which cannot be distributed), will let the GPU run at Gen 3.0 mode on some X79/SNB-E systems, however the post-launch stable drivers (such as GeForce 301.10 WHQL), won't."

"Update 3/23, 21:56
NVIDIA courteously responded to our article, with a statement. Here's the statement verbatim:
While X79/SNB-E is a native Gen2 platform, some motherboard manufacturers have enabled Gen3 speeds. With our GTX 680 launch drivers, we will only be supporting Gen2 speeds on X79/SNB-E while we work on validating X79/SNB-E at these faster speeds. Native Gen3 chipsets (like Ivy Bridge) will still run at full Gen3 speeds with our launch drivers.

GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. It operates properly within the SIG PCI Express Specification and has been validated on multiple upcoming PCI Express 3.0 platforms. Some motherboard manufacturers have released updated SBIOS to enable the Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform to run at up to 8GT/s bus speeds. NVIDIA is currently working to validate X79/SNB-E with GTX 680 at these speeds with the goal of enabling 8GT/s via a future software update. Until this validation is complete, the GTX 680 will operate at PCIE 2.0 speeds on X79/SNB-E-based motherboards with the latest web drivers.
This statement confirms our assertions made in the article. NVIDIA's statement on the GeForce.com product page originally formed the basis of this article, which we pasted verbatim, while preparing the article. Motherboard manufacturers have extensively marketed their LGA2011 products as natively supporting PCI-Express Gen 3.0 (8 GT/s). What's more, the datasheet of Intel Core i7 LGA2011 processors (refer 1.2.2) clearly mentions the PCI-Express root complex as supporting 8 GT/s. AMD Southern Islands GPUs have supported PCI-Express Gen 3.0 on LGA2011 platforms since day one."

Last edited by EmptyMellon; March 25, 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: "The message is too short..." really? unable to use "[quote]" to quote. :(
Old March 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So what? It's not like the GTX 680 is anywhere NEAR being bandwidth capped by 2.0 to begin with.

Remember, BOTH the GTX 680 AND the HD 7970 are listed as PCI-E 3.0 compliant and not "certified".
Old March 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure that there would be any effect with a single card. I don't think a single card will use all of PCI-E 2.0's bandwidth. If there is a bottleneck, I'm sure you'll see community modded drivers to address it if Nvidia wont.

Edit: Ninja'd by the man.
Old April 5, 2012, 02:27 AM
Rookie

Well i think it is best to wait a few months more before using PCI-E 3.0 (especially the Nvidia cards), because they have just published them about 2 months ago. So the drivers may not work optimally jet. If you absolutely want a PCI-E 3.0 cards, so choose either Ati series because it has filed a little longer.

But I have wondered a little about when there will be Windows XP drivers for the new PCI-E 3.0 cards?
There was otherwise a small period there were XP drivers on AMD's website, but now they are gone??
Old April 5, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why would you bother running such an outdated OS with current tech? XP is dead and needs to be buried. I am not trying to troll you, it just makes no sense to run DX11 cards on a DX9 limited OS.
Old April 6, 2012, 08:59 AM
Rookie

Because i love Windows XP. And i think Windows 7 is heavy to run, and i don't see any new features at all in that Windows. The only problem is that Microsoft and other companies would not make their new programs to support Windows XP and make an update for Windows XP so it can run DirectX 11. That is just because they will force people to pay more money for a new Windows. But honestly I can't see any improvement by the new Windows. You can't do more things on the new Windows, you can go on internet, watch movies, listen to music, play games on both Windows, so i can't see a reason to why Microsoft release a new Windows. Both Windows still one go down for errors and the new one take many more resources to run (and i know some people said that this Vista problem has been fixed, but i have tested that and find out that was false).

But that's just my opinion.
I also think of the design and the way it is built up.
And I must honestly say that Windows Vista and 7 are built right up weird.
It is completely a different operating system than all the other Windows.
It is almost like switching from Linux to Chrome OS.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Probably still running 32 Bit as well.. ;)
Old April 6, 2012, 10:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank god i'm sticking to my i7 2600k :D z68 has been just such a dream platform it seems
Old July 8, 2012, 10:11 PM
MVP

isn't SB-E only capable of pci-e 2.0 (even though X79 supports 3.0 you have to wait for IB-E)? or am I wrong?
Old July 8, 2012, 10:24 PM
Rookie

SB-E will support 8 gb transfer rate which is the same as PCI-E 3.0. The problem is that, this doesn't exactly mean SB-E suppors PCI-E 3.0. Some chips are better than other chips. AMD cards will do PCI-E 3.0 on most X-79 motherboards with SB-E 3930 or 3960 chips running. GTX6xx's will do PCI-E 3 on some X-79 mobos with 3930/3960's. NVidia has provided a registry hack for those that want to see if their combination will work but won't warrant that it works.

Tags
gen 2.0 , gtx 680 , pcie