Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Interesting article concerning e-commerce jobs [National Post]

Interesting article that outlines some of the issues and working conditions at e-commerce warehouses like Amazon:
Quote:
I now buy many of my books at red lights. Iím listening to an author being interviewed on the car radio, like what I hear, and before the light turns green, Iíve (illegally, according to road rules in many Canadian jurisdictions) put in my order. Itís the sort of time-saving dot-com era marvel that makes us all feel smug and wonderful about the age we live in.
But if you go behind the app, to the actual warehouse operations where many online orders get processed, youíll find a down side to the digital marketplace of the 21st century. In some ways, it looks a lot like the Dickensian world of the 19th.
Jonathan Kay: What the gruelling lives of e-commerce warehouse workers tell us about capitalism’s crisis | Full Comment | National Post

Theres a link to a blog outlining more issues around working at these places too.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 23, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

slaves aren't only of colour, nothing new in wheel of money making machine E connerce money has replaced the whip
Old March 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Capitalism has failed the common people.

Large amalgamations and "buying power" have just about completely removed the "mom and dad" shop thereby putting all the control at the helm of large corporations.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:01 AM
MVP

Holy crap. I would rather be a bum on the street then live like that day in and day out. That scene the lady describes about how they get two 15 minute breaks a day was sickening. The clock starts when they are at their station, so walking across the warehouse, getting through security, and walking back to their station is all taken out of the 15 minutes. It would be so aggravating never being able to make a decent phone call or have a good coversation for 10+ hours.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I wouldn't do it period.

I'd rather have nothing but my pride than that.