Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
Allstar

Default Possible Bulldozer price drop

Saw this on Engadget which is similar to the HC article on the new Bulldozer chips but it also hint at a price drop for the existing chips.

AMD rolls out two new Bulldozer chips, cuts price of the FX-8120 to celebrate -- Engadget
Old February 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hang on. first ever over 4Ghz (stock clocks) CPU? Cool!
Old February 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Yea but look turbo core speeds are crap. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from them but you think a turbo core boost would get you more than 100mhz.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Allstar

Well if the price drop is confirmed, I'll probably just buy a cheap 8 core and swap out the 1055T in my server. Then I'll use my 1055T and replace my Q6600.
Old February 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its kinda sad to see AMD reduced to PR stunts like this. Anyone else remember when Intel tried the same thing (aka the "MHz Wars") to beat AMD's top dogs. Now AMD is doing it to try and match (and beat in some instances) Intel mid teir line via shear speed. You just KNOW that FX chip is going to run boiling hot and suck down power like theres no tomorrow...just like Intel's did back in the day. This is NOT what AMD needs to do. AMD needs to indeed price drop the BDs (and die shrink PII) but they do NOT need to further the BD's rep for running hot and energy inefficient!

Sad, sad day.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That said.... $185 for their top end BD proc? If (and it's a big if) we actually see those kind of prices, I might consider picking one up for the sabertooth and replace the Athlon X2 with the 1090t.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

That chip has to be running right at the edge of its threshold though. Look at the Turbo..its only 100mHz more... Not a good play on AMD's part this time.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
That chip has to be running right at the edge of its threshold though. Look at the Turbo..its only 100mHz more... Not a good play on AMD's part this time.

-ST
Seems desperate.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess the people who don't research will like the 4.0GHz number, but the clock boost still won't help the way Bulldozers are outclassed by a stock Core i3 in gaming. Who'll be the next AMD executive to go?
Old February 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its kinda sad to see AMD reduced to PR stunts like this. Anyone else remember when Intel tried the same thing (aka the "MHz Wars") to beat AMD's top dogs. Now AMD is doing it to try and match (and beat in some instances) Intel mid teir line via shear speed. You just KNOW that FX chip is going to run boiling hot and suck down power like theres no tomorrow...just like Intel's did back in the day. This is NOT what AMD needs to do. AMD needs to indeed price drop the BDs (and die shrink PII) but they do NOT need to further the BD's rep for running hot and energy inefficient!

Sad, sad day.
+1 to the PII die shrink. Also would be sweet to see a PII x8 but now I'm just fantasizing.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.