Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2012, 03:35 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Interview: Audio Engineer Alan Parsons

Quote:
In an exclusive interview with CE Pro, Alan Parsons, renowned sound engineer for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and for the Beatles, says hi-fi pros focus too much on equipment and brand names, when they should put more energy into room acoustics. He also says some surround-sound systems from Costco and Walmart “really aren’t that bad.”
I think he misses out on mentioning speaker placement. You can spend a lot of time moving the speakers around and tune them to the room for optimum sound; most people just seem to plunk them down where ever it's convenient instead of making any effort to find the ideal audio placement. Sometimes moving it closer or farther away from a wall or corner can make a huge difference in sound.

Beatles, Pink Floyd Engineer Alan Parsons Rips Audiophiles - CE Pro Magazine Article from CE Pro
Old February 9, 2012, 03:54 PM
MVP

Meh. IMO, most "enthusiasts"--of any scene--these days are fad-driven posers who buy according to an unwritten status checklist. If you've obtained a straight razor and an analog audio setup the past couple of years, I'm probably talking about you.

How many Rampage or UD7 owners out there are total noobs trying to one-up a buddy? Same with most professed audiophiles. And car guys. And fitness guys. And so on--could go on forever.

Generation Me narcissism.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
Rookie

I dunno. With audio equipment that "point of diminishing return" seems to be more like a brick wall of diminishing returns. I've used some pretty high end stuff on the headphone side of things, and short of being significantly better built (materials wise) I can't really tell the difference that much.
Old February 10, 2012, 01:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Speaker placement, room setup, and processing trumps uber expensive gear. Especially amplifiers...

I've heard some fantastic gear but the extreme end of audio has people paying 50 grand for a power cable that plugs into your house wiring and other such nonsense.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

I read this & I am taken back to this :P

The Alan Parsons Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old February 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The redeeming thing about chasing high end audio is that you can do it by spreading the costs out over several years by buying used gear and upgrading to better used gear - unlike most types of electronics, higher end audio components retain their value very well, with the exception of certain digital components. I have a pair of speakers that I bought used two years ago for $3200, and I could sell them today for $3300 - these were an upgrade from a set I payed 2K for and sold for about the same. When I do sell them, it might be to upgrade to a $4000 set for example, but that's $700 spread out over three years, and I'm left with something that has genuine equity in case I ever need the cash- very easy to sell these things on audiogon. Certainly there are diminishing returns as you get up there on sound quality, but it's actually less cost per year than many hobbies- especially computer hardware.

When you consider all the other crap that you pay for in your life that becomes worthless after just a couple of years - hi-fi gear looks pretty good. Add to that the enjoyment of the experimentation with different configurations, the alchemy of producing amazing sound, and the plain joy of great sounding music, and it's a rewarding and sensible hobby.