Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Sub $200 gaming CPU Review @ Tomshardware

Review as the title states. They get pretty much every processor I would expect and also test with the processors OCed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3120.html

The IMO summary: AMD slides even further away from recommendations (even in the sub $100 area they used to have). Of note is that the i3 2100 gets better gaming performance than EVERY AMD cpu tested.

Processor picks I would make based on this for gaming and price (sub $200): i5 2400/i3 2100/ Pentium G630

Their summary chart of performance:
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like AMD's socket FM1 processors for a HTPC as they have much better integrated graphics in them.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Does "much better integrated graphics" even matter for an HTPC nowadays? From a media perspective full bit-rate 1080p is the most demanding task, which any of the current-gen integrated chips can handle. Or am I incorrect in that assumption?
Old January 30, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Does "much better integrated graphics" even matter for an HTPC nowadays? From a media perspective full bit-rate 1080p is the most demanding task, which any of the current-gen integrated chips can handle. Or am I incorrect in that assumption?
Well I got the A6-3500 and for less than $100 and to a similar price Intel chip for 1155 would be a pentium G850. So for the price you get a lot better of a system. Not to mention you get a lot more features on AMD's cheap motherboards like USB3 internal header for a matx. There are only 2 1155 matx motherboards with usb3 internal header and they are pretty expensive.

So you get more features, for the price. Not to mention while reading reviews the Intel Pentium Sandy Bridge CPU's have significantly more judder in some situations and that AMD's is closer to 23.97 FPS. I also read it can decode more video types.

Oh and you can use a large variety of heatsinks cause AMD is smart and doesn't change socket size every other minute. I also like AMD's heatsink system much better than push pins that come on most low profile heatsinks.

So when you include all that to me it is a clear win for AMD for a low powered cheap HTPC.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 31, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah, I see. I thought you just meant more GPU horsepower. I'm not too familiar with integrated GPU's, there features, quirks etc. Good to know.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My i5-2500K was a solid choice. Works great in games and high level computing doing CFD/FEA with ansys on 4 cores.