Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll never spend another dime in FS as long as I live. BB sometimes if they have something I can't find anywhere else. My biggest problem with them is the massive markup on all their prices.

Last year i needed a 16 or 32Gb class 6+ sd card. Memory Express was out of them BB was out of them but FS had one 16gb class10 card for 200 dollars... 200 hundred fn-dollars. The very same card was 50 bux at memx just out of stock. They told me it wasn't the exact same item and they wouldn't price match. I have never walked out of FS or BB happy. Ever.

FS also ripped me off on an ipod warranty. Ipod died in the 1st week. They sent it back i got back a fixed one 2 months later with an old beat up screen. They said there was scratches on the original... information they put on the invoice slip AFTER i signed it. I don't know what the issue was apple was covering the repair not FS. When it broke again they said the HDD was damaged by me becuse there was a tiny little dent on the back of it... the dent was behind the screen and no where near the HDD. 500 dollars of garbage 100 dollars of warranty they wouldn't honor.

Their instore warranty thing is pure garbage... absolute nonsense. Anyone who buys extended warranty should know... they will use the manufactures warranty until it runs out at which point they will give the worst customer service money can't buy. So you basically buy 1 or 2 years warranty from FS that is already covered by the manufacturer. It's the biggest scam going in my humble opinion.

Enter Memory Express. I can sell anything I bought from there to someone else and the warranty follows the product. No questions asked no nonsense.... maybe a 3 day wait max and you are back on track with replacement hardware. Most of the people there know what they are talkin about and they will always get my money.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; January 6, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A best buy just opened in Quebec city and one of my friend got hired. The biggest problem I see is that there is only 2 departement. Computer ( which include car audio and everything ) and television that include game and etc.
The service in the Quebec BB have been decent enough for me to date except for the slut at the customer service that definatly hate her job but the fact that some knoledge less people have to take care of some departement that big make it impossible for them to give you a correct reply.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 7, 2012, 12:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You guys realize that Best Buy -- after setting up Circuit City stores right next to Future Shop stores and then undercutting FS for months -- bought out the founder of Future Shop?

Same company runs both. Future Shop is no longer Canadian-owned.
Old January 7, 2012, 05:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I def agree with you clshades that product protection plan is a bunch of bs and I pretty much never get it because usually the manufacturers 1yr or sometimes more warranty(I always register products) is sufficient to find a problem even the 30day replacement guarantee from most stores should be enough to find some sort of product defect. So far the only time I've decided to get any type of protection plan is when I buy used games at EB games and it's def worth the $1 for a used game at least. I think I've had to replace about 4 used games I bought all had errors somewhere in the middle of the game(EB games used game testing only checks if the game loads to the main menu at least for the store I buy at)

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 7, 2012, 06:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
You guys realize that Best Buy -- after setting up Circuit City stores right next to Future Shop stores and then undercutting FS for months -- bought out the founder of Future Shop?

Same company runs both. Future Shop is no longer Canadian-owned.
I always taught they were the same company ...

I remember buying a camera from FS and the memory stick from BB a few years ago and they arrived on the same day on the same courier. Also, they has the same shipping address.

I also called for an issue once and asked the guy about FS / BB and he said whatever company you call at the whse, you speak with the same person.
Old January 7, 2012, 07:57 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Its apparent that they are the same company by simply browsing the two sites (the product info pages in particular are similar).

TBH I have purchased extended warranties on the laptops I have bought, and have used it each and every time. I did not get an extended with the Asus I just got though, since it came with a 2 year warranty out of the box. I did not get an extended with my plasma TV when I first got it, but it has started acting up over the past month and Sears called and asked if I wanted to get the warranty. Usually I would have said no but with the way the TV is acting up (red streaks in areas where there are various shades of while, like a couldy sky) so I will take advantage of it hopefully).
Fold for team #54196
Old January 7, 2012, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I took away something different from the article than the major problem being poor CS... for me the article spoke to a broken inventory system as being the biggest problem. Online shoppers expect the inventory database to be close to realtime (let's say within 2 hrs for in-store stock quotes), and (IMO more importantly) they expect a transparant system which informs customers immediately about any problems with filling an order.

Any online business which cannot either ship a product, or respond about availability (under normal circumstances) within 5 business days will not be getting any further business from me.

CS for problems is easy peasy... first up, folks want to know that you understand what the issue is, and secondly folks want to know what you're going to do about it. Don't make me jump through hoops, or make vague promises... if you have no intention of doing anything, just tell me that and I'll decide where to go from there.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 7, 2012, 10:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Only big company I bother "helping" is walmart, and only because my aunt works in electronics and gives me her discount. I have watched friends spend thousands on 46 to 56inch LCD TV's ,I love showing them my 40 inch LCD I purchased for $356 with tax included :D .
Old January 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
BB or FS is good for some things. I would never buy a monitor or TV without seeing it in person. I have read great reviews on these items and thought they looked like crap compared to 'lesser' models with poorer reviews.

I'll tell ya one thing...I would shop at FS or BB over Walmart any day.
Years ago I bought a 32" Samsung TV @ F/S..; crt style so we"re looking at 100-120 lbs. The salesman at the time of purchase told us "if you have a problem we"ll give you another 1 while it"s being fixed"
What he neglected to tell us was that F/S washes their hands of you after 30 days. Soo my luck being what it is the picture tube goes awall after 4 months. Contact the local store and shure enough they"ll give us a lowner and help us with warranty claims...BUT we have to pay and arrange shipping to Georgia to have the picture tube fixed.
I never even bothered trying to get a shipping estimate.
Unleash the gates of hell, my wife (no conscience or kuddoos) raises bloody kane on a Saturday morning at the start of a major sale.....they delivered a direct replacement that afternoon.
We"re still watching it today.
Old January 8, 2012, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find that BB has great deals if you wait for them. As far as warranties go, my 47" LG lcd has an option to purchase an extended warranty from the manufacturer. The plan is available right up until the last day of the original warranty!

If some people would take the time to register their big ticket items after purchasing, they would know this. This is what LG offers. MMV with other manufacturers.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)