Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Microsoft OneCare Last in Antivirus Tests

PC-World reported on an study by AV-Comparatives that compared the effectiveness of 17 antivirus programs- as the title suggests, the real dud was Microsoft Onecare. The top program was Gdata AVK.

"Top dog, according to Cleminti's tests, was G Data Security's AntiVirusKit (AVK), which nailed 99.5 percent of the malicious code. Not far behind were AEC's TrustPort AV WS, at 99.4 percent, Avira's AntiVir PE Premium, at 98.9 percent, MicroWorld's eScan antivirus, at 97.9 percent, F-Secure's antivirus, at 97.9 percent, and Kaspersky Labs' AV, which stopped 97.9 percent of the malware.
Better known products such as Symantec's Norton antivirus and McAfee's VirusScan posted results of 96.8 percent and 91.6 percent, respectively."
Old March 4, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

OneCare is a piece of ****.. I'm tired of consumers falling into the "if its commercialized its gotta be good" motto.
Old March 4, 2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
G Data Security's AntiVirusKit (AVK)
Never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. I just installed Avast and it looks pretty good. Not sure if I like it better than NOD32 yet, i'll have to wait and see.
Old March 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. I just installed Avast and it looks pretty good. Not sure if I like it better than NOD32 yet, i'll have to wait and see.
Turn off the sounds otherwise at 3am with your speakers up loud you'll hear "Your Virus Database has been Updated"