Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Seagate & Western Digital cutting hard drive warranties in 2012 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/49535-seagate-western-digital-cutting-hard-drive-warranties-2012-a.html)

LaughingCrow December 18, 2011 11:11 AM

Seagate & Western Digital cutting hard drive warranties in 2012

Maybe check those drives for water before you buy? :haha:

Seagate and Western Digital cutting hard drive warranties in 2012 | The Verge

Soullessone21 December 18, 2011 03:06 PM

Hey peoples lives were ruined and many people died during the fluids there

... but yah thats pretty funny none the less.

makes more sense then ever to buy WD Black still get the 5 years and the performance.

enaberif December 18, 2011 03:10 PM

personally in 3-4 years if my drive was to fail just cheaper to buy a new one.

Birk December 18, 2011 03:14 PM

in otherwords, "We know our current batch of drives we're making are crap so either pay us more money for what we've already jacked the price up on or use our crappy factory seconds...."

enaberif December 18, 2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birk (Post 581151)
in otherwords, "We know our current batch of drives we're making are crap so either pay us more money for what we've already jacked the price up on or use our crappy factory seconds...."

or how about "we feel confident in our drives and warranties aren,t needed"

AkG December 18, 2011 03:38 PM

OR how about
"margins are so thin and we have ZERO stock right now that we can not afford a 5 year warranty..but for a small fee we will provide you with a 5 year warranty". This happens every so often and if you feel the need for a 5 year warranty either get the extended or buy a WD Black (and pay the fee that is built into their prices). In a year or three things will go back to 3-5 yr warranties. Nothing new under the sun. Same old same old.

To be honest, how often do most peeps RMA a drive? I usually buy and replace my hdds LONG before they die...as a drive 2-3 years old is a) a SLOW drive and b) a SMALL drive. SSD for OS...and HDD for data means that a short warranty to cover the zinger DOA (or soon after) drives is plenty.

LionRed December 18, 2011 05:17 PM

Lol just had a seagate 1.5 TB die today =/

enaberif December 18, 2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionRed (Post 581200)
Lol just had a seagate 1.5 TB die today =/

no matter the brand drives fail.

Arinoth December 18, 2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 581147)
personally in 3-4 years if my drive was to fail just cheaper to buy a new one.

That's rather true, either drive speed or storage capacity will be out of date by then requiring an upgrade anyways (either via rma or purchasing).

NyteOwl December 20, 2011 11:41 AM

Not really. I'm using 500GB drives in this workstation and they aren't even 1/3 full. They're three years old now. I still have much smaller and older drives in use. This "industry standards" thing is the same excuse they sued a number of eyars ago when they reduced warranties from 5 to 3 years. Now it's 3 to 2. In another year or so it will be down to 1 year or maybe 90 days. It's all a matter of maximizing profit (shorter warranty = lower support costs) and WD's longer warrant with special pricing is a blatant money grab. It has nothing to do with standards, or technology and everything to do with maximizing profit $$$.