Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2011, 05:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Indoor Google Maps

Official Google Blog: A new frontier for Google Maps: mapping the indoors

I don't know about you, but I tend to not get lost in these cans of places they are proposing to offer service in due to the fact I know how to read an old style directory map...
Old November 30, 2011, 05:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

LOL i was thinking the same thing.

Then again, i do question how many people still know how to read an old fashion map? Let alone spatial awareness?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 30, 2011, 05:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of people from my generation and especially younger generations wouldn't be able to read an old fashion map. When I went on a trip with my folks to PEI (and around the island) I had my phone running GPS map every so often just verify my navigating via old fashion map. I like being able to know exactly where I am, however looking at things without waiting for the gps to find you or load the information on the map is a very nice perk still of old paper maps.
Old November 30, 2011, 06:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Don't laugh, but I have not used my smartphone's gps.
When traveling I still rely on old fashioned paper maps, that I pickup at a gas station

I really don't see how hard it would be to navigate inside a building...
Hence my finding this service amusing.

Whatever happened to exploring places for one's self?
Personally I find it fun if I somehow get lost once in a while.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
LOL i was thinking the same thing.

Then again, i do question how many people still know how to read an old fashion map? Let alone spatial awareness?

Throw having to use a compass in the mix and they're screwed

Last edited by Arinoth; November 30, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But come on, how many people really know how to use a compass properly? I have a small inkling (i did orienteering when I was a teen) but even then, I've forgot a lot of the advanced stuff.

I remember when i was a kid and we used to take family road trips, I'd sit in the back seat and pore over the maps. It must have been good practice.

A few years ago I drove from Winnipeg to New Orleans (solo, in 33 straight hours). I did it all with maps printed from Google before I left. My proudest moment was figuring out an impromptu detour when a major bridge in Missouri was closed.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'm not sure what good this will do...especially when some phones, like my GT-i9000M, have such terrible GPS, you're lucky to get signal lock in a reasonable time on a clear, sunny day. Usually its a few minutes to get lock and then it barely can keep your location. In that time, I'm fairly sure you could walk to the typical map to find where you want to go.

I can't see how well GPS is going to work indoors. I guess it's mainly relying on WiFi? I would assume most stores have it now, and Google could do their mapping based upon the location of AP's. Obviously that means their "street view" team will have to walk around malls now too!
Old November 30, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After this they are going to expand it to private residences so that as a guest you can find the bathroom without having to ask. ;)
Also handy will be the kitchen mapping so that you never again have to ask where the cups are.
Old November 30, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of people from my generation and especially younger generations wouldn't be able to read an old fashion map. When I went on a trip with my folks to PEI (and around the island) I had my phone running GPS map every so often just verify my navigating via old fashion map. I like being able to know exactly where I am, however looking at things without waiting for the gps to find you or load the information on the map is a very nice perk still of old paper maps.
Most are pretty clueless. I'm 23 and still use maps, but mostly google maps now :P I typically use a GPS now out of convenience and I like having an ETA for long trips.
Old November 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
After this they are going to expand it to private residences so that as a guest you can find the bathroom without having to ask. ;)
Also handy will be the kitchen mapping so that you never again have to ask where the cups are.

I can see all the Conan O'brien spoofs starting already.