Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Indoor Google Maps (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/48904-indoor-google-maps.html)

Arinoth November 30, 2011 04:21 AM

Indoor Google Maps

Official Google Blog: A new frontier for Google Maps: mapping the indoors

I don't know about you, but I tend to not get lost in these cans of places they are proposing to offer service in due to the fact I know how to read an old style directory map...

Prolab November 30, 2011 04:24 AM

LOL i was thinking the same thing.

Then again, i do question how many people still know how to read an old fashion map? Let alone spatial awareness?

Arinoth November 30, 2011 04:38 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of people from my generation and especially younger generations wouldn't be able to read an old fashion map. When I went on a trip with my folks to PEI (and around the island) I had my phone running GPS map every so often just verify my navigating via old fashion map. I like being able to know exactly where I am, however looking at things without waiting for the gps to find you or load the information on the map is a very nice perk still of old paper maps.

Grampa November 30, 2011 05:49 AM

Don't laugh, but I have not used my smartphone's gps.
When traveling I still rely on old fashioned paper maps, that I pickup at a gas station :haha:

I really don't see how hard it would be to navigate inside a building...
Hence my finding this service amusing.:haha:

Whatever happened to exploring places for one's self?
Personally I find it fun if I somehow get lost once in a while. :thumb:

bainne November 30, 2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolab (Post 574199)
LOL i was thinking the same thing.

Then again, i do question how many people still know how to read an old fashion map? Let alone spatial awareness?

Throw having to use a compass in the mix and they're screwed :bleh:

great_big_abyss November 30, 2011 10:55 AM

But come on, how many people really know how to use a compass properly? I have a small inkling (i did orienteering when I was a teen) but even then, I've forgot a lot of the advanced stuff.

I remember when i was a kid and we used to take family road trips, I'd sit in the back seat and pore over the maps. It must have been good practice.

A few years ago I drove from Winnipeg to New Orleans (solo, in 33 straight hours). I did it all with maps printed from Google before I left. My proudest moment was figuring out an impromptu detour when a major bridge in Missouri was closed.

JD November 30, 2011 11:39 AM

Yeah I'm not sure what good this will do...especially when some phones, like my GT-i9000M, have such terrible GPS, you're lucky to get signal lock in a reasonable time on a clear, sunny day. Usually its a few minutes to get lock and then it barely can keep your location. In that time, I'm fairly sure you could walk to the typical map to find where you want to go.

I can't see how well GPS is going to work indoors. I guess it's mainly relying on WiFi? I would assume most stores have it now, and Google could do their mapping based upon the location of AP's. Obviously that means their "street view" team will have to walk around malls now too!

MacJunky November 30, 2011 03:07 PM

After this they are going to expand it to private residences so that as a guest you can find the bathroom without having to ask. ;)
Also handy will be the kitchen mapping so that you never again have to ask where the cups are.

JMCD November 30, 2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 574205)
I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of people from my generation and especially younger generations wouldn't be able to read an old fashion map. When I went on a trip with my folks to PEI (and around the island) I had my phone running GPS map every so often just verify my navigating via old fashion map. I like being able to know exactly where I am, however looking at things without waiting for the gps to find you or load the information on the map is a very nice perk still of old paper maps.

Most are pretty clueless. I'm 23 and still use maps, but mostly google maps now :P I typically use a GPS now out of convenience and I like having an ETA for long trips.

Grampa November 30, 2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacJunky (Post 574461)
After this they are going to expand it to private residences so that as a guest you can find the bathroom without having to ask. ;)
Also handy will be the kitchen mapping so that you never again have to ask where the cups are.

:haha::haha::haha:

I can see all the Conan O'brien spoofs starting already.