Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have been burned once or twice when I decided to rely on the car gps and/or smartphone for directions. Always take at least a quick look at the map and route before heading out kiddies.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 30, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I generally use google maps before I head out to get an idea of where I am heading. I really only break it out on my phone if I am completely lost and need to get somewhere in a certain amount of time. If I don't have to rush somewhere then I just try to figure it out on my own. Of course though if I am heading on say a long road trip somewhere I have not been I would get a good paper map of the area. I just find that you can't rely on the phones to always have a signal.

Old November 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have to admit, i dont even know how to use a compass. I look at it, watching the needle. Other than that - <- thats what my face look like.

I still carry my old fashion map i got from CAA. Heck, i get a new copy every year so - its a great insurance when the GPS fails.

I too still look at google maps or paper map just before i head to somewhere i dont know. Gives me a general idea and only bust out the phone as a last resort.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old December 1, 2011, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can actually see a use for this if they roll it out on a large enough scale..

You all thinking " how hard can it be to read the signs / maps etc that most large complexes have in "your location here""

But I for one can vouch that some places are like mazes and don't always have sign-age / maps to help you out...
even if they do, What if they aren't in English, or even the English alphabet..

This could be very useful to certain people.

HOWEVER, I agree on the no gps signal. That said once you can find a window you should be fine or you can work out where you are on the map by room numbers or matching other identifying features.

Is it going to be really really used or helpful in most peoples every-day.. no.. will it be situationally helpful.. hell yea
(I've been lost in a few foreign undergrounds/large complexes with no signs or not in English.)
Old December 1, 2011, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
After this they are going to expand it to private residences so that as a guest you can find the bathroom without having to ask. ;)
Also handy will be the kitchen mapping so that you never again have to ask where the cups are.

Now women wont have any excuse to do all tha mall before ending buying what they were coming for. Now you know where the store is, get to it buy and go out!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 1, 2011, 04:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I can actually see a use for this if they roll it out on a large enough scale..

You all thinking " how hard can it be to read the signs / maps etc that most large complexes have in "your location here""

But I for one can vouch that some places are like mazes and don't always have sign-age / maps to help you out...
even if they do, What if they aren't in English, or even the English alphabet..

This could be very useful to certain people.

HOWEVER, I agree on the no gps signal. That said once you can find a window you should be fine or you can work out where you are on the map by room numbers or matching other identifying features.

Is it going to be really really used or helpful in most peoples every-day.. no.. will it be situationally helpful.. hell yea
(I've been lost in a few foreign undergrounds/large complexes with no signs or not in English.)
It's not going to be running off of standard GPS, the plan for this actually is to use wifi and triangulate that way.
Old December 1, 2011, 04:42 AM
Top Prospect

Next they will do google "street" view for indoors....
Old December 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

There should be a mandatory class on the final year of junior high "real-life skills" where important issues like learning to read GPS grids, maps and compasses, gun safety, sex-ed and manners (alot of countrys don't have it!) how to use a dishwasher, washingmachine and dryer and a dieatary class
Old December 11, 2011, 01:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's all about the marketing folks... all about the marketing.

Google's business plan is all predicated on business' being willing to shell out cash to know where/who you are and what you're doing. All this does is add the ability to route you to business' with direct access marketing.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Man I have to read geologic maps... they make normal topographic maps look like a cake walk. I don't understand what are people going to do when they are in the bushes with no internet...