Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   ASUS X79 ROG Rampage IV Extreme (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/47630-asus-x79-rog-rampage-iv-extreme.html)

EmptyMellon October 25, 2011 03:57 PM

ASUS X79 ROG Rampage IV Extreme

Quote:

In the first of a three part Asus X79 Motherboard series, we introduce to our readers the flagship ASUS Republic of Gamers Rampage IV Extreme. Built and tuned by a world-class team of perfectionist engineers and megahertz thirsty overclockers from the ROG team, this new Rampage could turn out to be one of the all-time greats in the history of enthusiast tech.
The motherboard is E-ATX.

Source: First Looks: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme (Intel X79) - Hardcore is back! by VR-Zone.com

Eldonko October 25, 2011 04:05 PM

Hope it works as awesome as it looks.

martin_metal_88 October 25, 2011 04:31 PM

hm very nice!
Have to highlight a cons, I am worried that this fan on the mobo will be like a mini jet in the case?
For everything else, I am pleased :)

keto October 25, 2011 04:32 PM

Good lord, that's the most ridiculously overbuilt mobo I've ever seen LOL. Bet it's going to be $500 neighbourhood.

I personally think this generation is going to be a slight letdown, they ended up chopping a bunch of features out of it to get it to market on time.

AkG October 25, 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keto (Post 561208)
Good lord, that's the most ridiculously overbuilt mobo I've ever seen LOL. Bet it's going to be $500 neighbourhood.

I personally think this generation is going to be a slight letdown, they ended up chopping a bunch of features out of it to get it to market on time.

Yes and no. The entry level -A and -b's X79s chips will indeed be a let down but the "raid" -T models will be awesome (10 ports of sata goodness) even if they did yank SAS support.

X79 to have 10 SATA ports after all by VR-Zone.com

EmptyMellon October 25, 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 561206)
hm very nice!
Have to highlight a cons, I am worried that this fan on the mobo will be like a mini jet in the case?
For everything else, I am pleased :)

Definetly not ment for the HTPC market segment.:biggrin:

I am just happy to see that they finally moved away from the silly PCI slot; can't wait to see the rest of their line-up.

chrisk October 25, 2011 05:03 PM

Oooh I can use my block with this board. Thats a plus, and might save me a few bucks ;p

What I don't see, and did not see mentioned in a Tweaktown writeup on this board, is an internal USB 3.0 header.

francisw19 October 25, 2011 05:21 PM

Very nice board. The OC Key looks interesting. :thumb:

lowfat October 25, 2011 07:07 PM

I very much dislike the heatsink. But still far better than all of the other Asus X79 boards.

EmptyMellon October 25, 2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 561224)
Oooh I can use my block with this board. Thats a plus, and might save me a few bucks ;p

What I don't see, and did not see mentioned in a Tweaktown writeup on this board, is an internal USB 3.0 header.

Is it not the red one right beside (south of) the 24-pin power? Looks like one to me.:ph34r: And another one right below the actively cooled HS (maybe).