Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

Default Hope for AMD yet .. AMD Forms Technology and Engineering Group, Hires Apple, IBM Vet

As per Xbitlabs news:

" AMD Hires Mark Papermaster to Lead Engineering, R&D

Advanced Micro Devices on Wednesday announced formation of technology and engineering group (TEG) and said that Mark Papermaster, has joined as the company’s senior vice president and chief technology officer. He will report to president and chief executive officer Rory Read and will oversee all of AMD’s engineering, research and development (R&D), and product development functions.

The advanced research and development team led by senior vice president of research and development Chekib Akrout, as well as the engineering teams residing in AMD’s products group, will now report to Mr. Papermaster. Mr. Akrout, will maintain responsibility for leading AMD’s processor core development as well as system-on-a-chip (SoC) design methodology. In recognition of his ongoing technical and management contributions, Akrout will continue serving on AMD’s senior leadership team responsible for key decision making and strategy setting. "

Read the rest below:
AMD Forms Technology and Engineering Group, Hires Apple, IBM Veteran - X-bit labs

Hope this helps with future revisions of Bulldozer & better planning of future hardware from them.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:57 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Haha hopefully Mr. Papermaster is not the master of Paperlaunches.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 20, 2011, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really hope this goes well for AMD - not just so that Intel will have to lower pricing, but because Dalton Mcguinty just got re-elected and I don't want him giving AMD another $50 million grant to develop a mediocre product.
Old October 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

An ex-apple veteran?

So I expect AMD will take a Sandy Bridge processor, give it a new white or black IHS, rebadge it as AMD, call it iHS and claim it's technical superiority? They will then take out a patent on this "innovation".
Old October 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
An ex-apple veteran?

So I expect AMD will take a Sandy Bridge processor, give it a new white or black IHS, rebadge it as AMD, call it iHS and claim it's technical superiority? They will then take out a patent on this "innovation".
Old October 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

AMD better get their act together! they cannot afford another disappointing benchmarks.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be sure to pencil in "Check out AMD's recovery situation after the bulldozer fiasco" for early November 2014. I really doubt anything they do today will have much of an affect for at least 3 years.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  68691377.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  93.9 KB
Old October 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing AMD does in the short term will fix the current issue. And we all need to accept that.

What we can hope for is their R&D Department gets on track, makes custom Fabs again and slowly gets into the swing of things to compete head to head with Intel in the comming years.

Nothing they do now, this day wiill help.
Minus dropping the price of the current FX processors to accurately reflect their performance.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only thing they could do short term is kill off BD, die shrink thuban, give it a speed bump and call it a day. I think performance, profit margins, and power consumption would have a better showing than BD.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb