Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Hope for AMD yet .. AMD Forms Technology and Engineering Group, Hires Apple, IBM Vet (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/47489-hope-amd-yet-amd-forms-technology-engineering-group-hires-apple-ibm-vet.html)

terrybear October 20, 2011 02:13 AM

Hope for AMD yet .. AMD Forms Technology and Engineering Group, Hires Apple, IBM Vet

As per Xbitlabs news:

" AMD Hires Mark Papermaster to Lead Engineering, R&D

Advanced Micro Devices on Wednesday announced formation of technology and engineering group (TEG) and said that Mark Papermaster, has joined as the company’s senior vice president and chief technology officer. He will report to president and chief executive officer Rory Read and will oversee all of AMD’s engineering, research and development (R&D), and product development functions.

The advanced research and development team led by senior vice president of research and development Chekib Akrout, as well as the engineering teams residing in AMD’s products group, will now report to Mr. Papermaster. Mr. Akrout, will maintain responsibility for leading AMD’s processor core development as well as system-on-a-chip (SoC) design methodology. In recognition of his ongoing technical and management contributions, Akrout will continue serving on AMD’s senior leadership team responsible for key decision making and strategy setting. "

Read the rest below:
AMD Forms Technology and Engineering Group, Hires Apple, IBM Veteran - X-bit labs

Hope this helps with future revisions of Bulldozer & better planning of future hardware from them. :thumb:

chrisk October 20, 2011 03:57 AM

Haha hopefully Mr. Papermaster is not the master of Paperlaunches.

ilya October 20, 2011 04:17 AM

I really hope this goes well for AMD - not just so that Intel will have to lower pricing, but because Dalton Mcguinty just got re-elected and I don't want him giving AMD another $50 million grant to develop a mediocre product.

Perineum October 20, 2011 07:34 AM

An ex-apple veteran?

So I expect AMD will take a Sandy Bridge processor, give it a new white or black IHS, rebadge it as AMD, call it iHS and claim it's technical superiority? They will then take out a patent on this "innovation".

geokilla October 20, 2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 559501)
An ex-apple veteran?

So I expect AMD will take a Sandy Bridge processor, give it a new white or black IHS, rebadge it as AMD, call it iHS and claim it's technical superiority? They will then take out a patent on this "innovation".

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Avenger212 October 20, 2011 09:27 AM

AMD better get their act together! they cannot afford another disappointing benchmarks.

sswilson October 20, 2011 09:39 AM

I'll be sure to pencil in "Check out AMD's recovery situation after the bulldozer fiasco" for early November 2014. I really doubt anything they do today will have much of an affect for at least 3 years.

stoanee October 20, 2011 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14846

Soultribunal October 20, 2011 10:25 AM

Nothing AMD does in the short term will fix the current issue. And we all need to accept that.

What we can hope for is their R&D Department gets on track, makes custom Fabs again and slowly gets into the swing of things to compete head to head with Intel in the comming years.

Nothing they do now, this day wiill help.
Minus dropping the price of the current FX processors to accurately reflect their performance.

ST

Bond007 October 20, 2011 11:38 AM

The only thing they could do short term is kill off BD, die shrink thuban, give it a speed bump and call it a day. I think performance, profit margins, and power consumption would have a better showing than BD.