Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup ST and just to add to my earlier comment...talk about cherry picking your data to suit your world view (wrt to the author of that apologist article). The Denab 965 was NOT AMDs flagship before BD...it was the 1000 series Thuban. When you compare the new flagship 8150 to the last flaship Thuban 1100T...the BD gets the snot kicked out of it. Pretty it up all you want, but that is the end result. You dont replace high grade with mid grade and expect people to praise you for it...yet that is what we are "supposed" to be doing because the BD was "forward thinking"? When you are on the edge of cliff you do NOT take a step forward....you stop what you are doing, reassess your situation and THEN change directions. Instead of doing that AMD walk off the edge with this forward thinking CPU design...and the real losers are US the consumers. Arrogance at its worst pure and simple.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

I'll agree with the 1 point then as mentioned ..... 8150 would have to be vs'ed the current top end Phenom X4 cpu then & isn't that the 960 ?

That sights review on the 8150 was rather good in what they got it too ... but they only gave it a recomendation cause of its ease to oc, nothing else. Still looks like its real target / comparable is to the 2500K series @ stock speeds, weither the 8120 125 watt or 95 watt version changes that any i've no clue. I'm shure someone will be exploring that good or bad as most look at it.
Old October 21, 2011, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
I'll agree with the 1 point then as mentioned ..... 8150 would have to be vs'ed the current top end Phenom X4 cpu then & isn't that the 960 ?

That sights review on the 8150 was rather good in what they got it too ... but they only gave it a recomendation cause of its ease to oc, nothing else. Still looks like its real target / comparable is to the 2500K series @ stock speeds, weither the 8120 125 watt or 95 watt version changes that any i've no clue. I'm shure someone will be exploring that good or bad as most look at it.
What he is saying is that releasing some thing with kess performance for a higher price is dumb. It doesn't matter if BD is only 4 real cores if you aren't moving up in performance you have an issue. As of right now AMD is giving us a crappier product for more money, that is worse than if intel just took their SB processors put them in a new box and called them SB-e. at least you are paying more money for something of equal perforamnce.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Here is the normal progression of many sites:

1) Give a poor rating to a product from the "Big 3" (AMD, Intel & NVIDIA)

2) Worry about them never sending you another product due to your bad review (note: we've never experienced a breach of support after an honest review)

3) Post some BS article that makes excuses for the poor performance of said product in a desperate attempt to save face. Fortunately, many educated readers will read the article, laugh and then move on.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
Allstar

I am not defending BD, at release BD is lack luster at best and the article does not truly defend it or make excuses, vs explaining what they might be trying to achieve. I have owned more Intels then AMDs, I am not a polarized fanboy. I do currently own an AMD and I like it to be honest, I know its not the fastest but it works well at a decent price. When it comes to upgrading again I may go with Intel if AMD does not get their stuff together, but as the thread states their might be hope yet.

I will not be buying a FX-8150, but I might buy an improved BD.

As you stated Sky, you have never experienced a pull of products from honest reviews. Overclockers has been around awhile and would probably have experienced the same thing. So why post an article other for the sake of trying to make sense of AMDs current mess.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
An ex-apple veteran?

So I expect AMD will take a Sandy Bridge processor, give it a new white or black IHS, rebadge it as AMD, call it iHS and claim it's technical superiority? They will then take out a patent on this "innovation".
Thanks for making my day!
Old October 21, 2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I am not defending BD, at release BD is lack luster at best and the article does not truly defend it or make excuses, vs explaining what they might be trying to achieve. I have owned more Intels then AMDs, I am not a polarized fanboy. I do currently own an AMD and I like it to be honest, I know its not the fastest but it works well at a decent price. When it comes to upgrading again I may go with Intel if AMD does not get their stuff together, but as the thread states their might be hope yet.
What people don't understand is that any improvements AMD will realize from instruction set optimization within a Windows environment will also by and large be realized by Intel's architectures, completely negating any competitive "gains".

And I wasn't necessarily referring to Overclockers. I don't point fingers at particular offenders.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What people don't understand is that any improvements AMD will realize from instruction set optimization within a Windows environment will also by and large be realized by Intel's architectures, completely negating any competitive "gains".

And I wasn't necessarily referring to Overclockers. I don't point fingers at particular offenders.
So then sky if you had the time to read over the mentioned article bb posted about the bd & architecture explaining why its how it is ..... would you agree with what was said in it then ?
Old October 21, 2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
So then sky if you had the time to read over the mentioned article bb posted about the bd & architecture explaining why its how it is ..... would you agree with what was said in it then ?
I would agree with certain parts but not others.

Does Bulldozer in its current form have the possibility of performance expansion through instruction set optimization? Yes.

Is BD the "right" architecture right now? Absolutely not. It is an architecture that was meant to be released ~ two years ago and is being spun my marketing types to be "forward thinking" due to some esoteric instruction sets.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Suggestions over on the AMD forums are that Thubin production ends Q4 2011......... :(
Given the inability of BD to impose itself in face of Thuban I think Thuban should be maintained as product, manufactured on smaller process as it would still bring revenue to AMD and keep BD alongside. Probably we will a see a fast depletion of Thuban in stocks.