Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This won't do a thing for Piledriver (Vishera / Trinity APU) or Steamroller (No name yet / Kaveri APU). Maybe Excavator then? There may be some influence but from all indications, the Excavator design still adheres to the same principles as today's Bulldozer cores.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Nothing AMD does in the short term will fix the current issue. And we all need to accept that.

What we can hope for is their R&D Department gets on track, makes custom Fabs again and slowly gets into the swing of things to compete head to head with Intel in the comming years.

Nothing they do now, this day wiill help.
Minus dropping the price of the current FX processors to accurately reflect their performance.

ST
Unfortunately, for that to be an effective response to the reception BD has received, there would have to be a market for BD over Thubin.

Personally, I'm not interested in BD at any price. IMO, there's no market for an 8 "core" proc that can't keep up with their own 2+ yr old 6 core proc. I'll pass thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The only thing they could do short term is kill off BD, die shrink thuban, give it a speed bump and call it a day. I think performance, profit margins, and power consumption would have a better showing than BD.
I hate playing the pessimist, but I've already been through this with AMD once before........

As much as I support your viewpoint on how they should proceed, I suspect it's much more likely that they'll just stop production of Thubins in order to force AMD fans to switch to BD. They did it for S939 vrs AM2, I'd bet money it's their plan for PHII vrs BD.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

By any means my posting is not nessicarly sayin that this occuring is going to save "current" BD products. BUT the quickest they can get the R&D team into gear could significantly help past PD as well as other products on the cpu & gpu side of things.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Unfortunately, for that to be an effective response to the reception BD has received, there would have to be a market for BD over Thubin.

Personally, I'm not interested in BD at any price. IMO, there's no market for an 8 "core" proc that can't keep up with their own 2+ yr old 6 core proc. I'll pass thanks.

I hate playing the pessimist, but I've already been through this with AMD once before........

As much as I support your viewpoint on how they should proceed, I suspect it's much more likely that they'll just stop production of Thubins in order to force AMD fans to switch to BD. They did it for S939 vrs AM2, I'd bet money it's their plan for PHII vrs BD.
I know, I wasnt' really justifiying BD's existance, just stating that low low pricing is about the only thing that will see units.
Gone are the days of my FX60.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Suggestions over on the AMD forums are that Thubin production ends Q4 2011......... :(

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 20, 2011, 06:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I've personally written AMD off for the next 2-3 years (at least) in the mid-range/enthusiast market for CPUs. I would love to be proven wrong, and I pray to be proven wrong. I just can't see why they should get my money any time soon.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I read (quickly skimmed) a article over at overclockers.com that tries to explain the AMD cores on BD. Interesting speed read, personally if they get the power under control and ramp up performance by 10-15% in the next 3-6 months then I would pop one into my desktop. Without asking for miracles I think that the power issues and performance is fixable short term.

Bulldozer Architecture Explained | Overclockers

Last edited by BlueByte; October 20, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I read (quickly skimmed) a article over at overclockers.com that tries to explain the AMD cores on BD. Interesting speed read, personally if they get the power under control and ramp up performance by 10-15% in the next 3-6 months then I would pop one into my desktop. Without asking for miracles I think that the power issues and performance is fixable short term.

Bulldozer Architecture Explained | Overclockers
Great link BB !!!

I just read it & i agree with it totaly ... Especialy this summery:

" Closing Remarks

Why talk about this? Why try to defend the AMD Bulldozer? The purpose is to hopefully extinguish some of your torches, and put down your pitchforks. You have to realize that AMD is in a new league. Instead of doing what they normally have done, they are exploiting what they have learned to hopefully make a faster CPU, and you know what: they did. Compare the results you get with the FX-8150 and the Deneb 965. What you should be doing is not comparing this CPU as if it’s an 8-core CPU, because it is not; compare it with the four core CPUs, because that is what it is. The FX-8150 is just another four core CPU with some major tweaks.

This may not have been the savior we have been looking for in AMD against Intel but give it more time and we could really see this architecture improve. We have had the same architecture for many years, and its final run, Thuban, showed us what could happen in the late game. The same needs to happen with each new architecture: time and patience. "

The person whom wrote the article definately sounded like that was there specialty & anyone with enought techie in them will understand it.
Old October 20, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If its a "4 core" then call it a bloody FOUR core cpu. Dont let marketing call it an EIGHT core. Hell does this mean the BD 6 and 4 cores will be tripple and double cores..or "should" be compared to only double and triple cores from Intel and previous gen AMD? Ugh. That aint happening. BD may be "forward thinking" but its a big step back, as at the end of the day its the performance NOW that matters....not a year or two down the road. When you 2+ year old tech is a six core...your NEW tech had better have at the very least SIX real cores AND be able to beat the old 6 core cpu. IF BD had come out with "12" cores (aka 6 real ones) then yes BD and by extension AMD could be lauded for their forward thinking. Its not a 12 core, thus its a failure. This should have stayed in the lab until is was fully cooked and ready for prime time.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If its a "4 core" then call it a bloody FOUR core cpu. Dont let marketing call it an EIGHT core. Hell does this mean the BD 6 and 4 cores will be tripple and double cores..or "should" be compared to only double and triple cores from Intel and previous gen AMD? Ugh. That aint happening. BD may be "forward thinking" but its a big step back, as at the end of the day its the performance NOW that matters....not a year or two down the road. When you 2+ year old tech is a six core...your NEW tech had better have at the very least SIX real cores AND be able to beat the old 6 core cpu. IF BD had come out with "12" cores (aka 6 real ones) then yes BD and by extension AMD could be lauded for their forward thinking. Its not a 12 core, thus its a failure. This should have stayed in the lab until is was fully cooked and ready for prime time.

I agree completely, why market something that its not? Call it what it is then.
And yes, if its new tech, it had better stomp the old stuff.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com