Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   All bulldozer processors reviewed (8150/8120/6100/4100) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/47304-all-bulldozer-processors-reviewed-8150-8120-6100-4100-a.html)

Bond007 October 13, 2011 07:20 PM

All bulldozer processors reviewed (8150/8120/6100/4100)
 
Not that too many people are jumping for joy over BD now, but found a couple reviews that include the whole launch line-up

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx...mance-review/1


and another

AMD FX-8150, FX-8120, FX-6100 and FX-4170 - Introduction

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions while we wait for the best review of these CPUs to come out here on HWC.

SKYMTL October 13, 2011 09:28 PM

No, they aren't.

All they did was disable cores and / or underclock to achieve the other processors. That is NOT the way to "review" individual processors as it throws everything from power consumption to on-chip resource distribution into the wind. Take those results with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

It is also quite underhanded and misleading if you ask me since they don't seem to actually have said processors in hand.

EmptyMellon October 13, 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 557496)
No, they aren't.

All they did was disable cores and / or underclock to achieve the other processors. That is NOT the way to "review" individual processors as it throws everything from power consumption to on-chip resource distribution into the wind. Take those results with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

It is also quite underhanded and misleading if you ask me since they don't seem to actually have said processors in hand.

I did wonder with those that had all four in their review, how they managed to get them while some did not (i.e. AnandTech). Nothing like loosing some integrity for the sake of some extra hits.:sad:

keto October 13, 2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 557496)
No, they aren't.

All they did was disable cores and / or underclock to achieve the other processors. That is NOT the way to "review" individual processors as it throws everything from power consumption to on-chip resource distribution into the wind. Take those results with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

It is also quite underhanded and misleading if you ask me since they don't seem to actually have said processors in hand.

I don't see that disclosed anywhere, you sure about this?

SKYMTL October 14, 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keto (Post 557505)
I don't see that disclosed anywhere, you sure about this?

I'd say I'm 99% sure.

A) AMD sent an email to ALL reviewers stating they would be sending out an FX-8150 and that was it.

B) Emails from us and several sites both MUCH larger and smaller than Guru & Legion asking for the lower-end SKUs were met with the same response: "we are not sampling them at this time"

C) I see no CPU-Z screenshots, picture of the chips, etc. You'd think if they had all four chips, they'd be proud to show them off.

D) Stock of two of those processors has STILL not hit distribution channels, let alone retailers' shelves. So they didn't get them via other contacts.

E) They didn't get them through the usual back channels in Taiwan (where you can currently find everything from early Ivy Bridge ES to SB-E) because they were never distributed in large amounts for testing to system integrators, mobo manufacturers, etc.

Since the review was posted or sometime soon they MAY buy them and update things but in all reality, having stand-in chips in a launch day review gives the wrong impression.

Bond007 October 14, 2011 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info SKYMTL. I wouldn't have posted links if I knew core disabling and OC/underclock was used, vice actual chips. That said I did not read anything saying that is what was done. I take your word over other sites, so everyone should do as you said and take the reviews I posted with a large grain of salt until it is clarified one way or another (if it ever is) while we wait for the HWC reviews down the road.

SKYMTL October 14, 2011 07:29 AM

I actually want to thank you for posting the links. By all means, more info is better than less.

NI3 October 14, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 557585)
E) They didn't get them through the usual back channels in Taiwan (where you can currently find everything from early Ivy Bridge ES to SB-E) because they were never distributed in large amounts for testing to system integrators, mobo manufacturers, etc.

Time to move to Taiwan!

Seriously though, thanks for the info, it looks like BD may still have some life left, specifically, the 4/6 core.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.