Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default UEFI and Windows 8 secure boot

Saw this on TPU, but still not really sure how it affect me yet. I do know some people aren't going to like this at all.

Windows 8 Secure Boot: Designed to Lock Out Linux? | techPowerUp
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 22, 2011, 04:55 AM
MVP

I saw this on another site. Not surprised but still alarmed at this move. Seems that with all the glitz, at least at this time, in the background of the upcoming Windows 8 release there will be a few IMHO distasteful & unwanted gotchas floating around.

Another piece of news is how MS plans to handle the distribution of Metro apps.
Metro Applications Restricted to Windows Store

Seems a lot like a new Apple may be born. At this pont it's still early and MS will have lots of time to hear & hopefully listen to their user base making adjustments/changes as needed.

As it stands for right now, I am definitely not impressed.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old September 22, 2011, 05:06 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Utilities that have mini-linux setups such as memtest and UBCD would be affected as well by the looks of it.

Another thing that comes to mind would be disk-imaging utilities. I doubt that MS would kill the likes of Ghost and Acronis, which if I understand correctly, also use their own OSes. Corporate users would be really p-ed off, and would never adopt Win8 if their existing deployment software and infrastructure would become obsolete. They take long enough as it is to move to a new OS.

If MS gives allowances for disk-imaging software, that could potentially be exploited by Linux folks.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 22, 2011, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm guessing this will be "cracked" within days of release

It sounds all too familiar to the SLIC key embedded into computers right now that have Windows 7, and well that didn't take long to "crack" and allow users to easily add that information into any BIOS and even on UEFI boards now.

Granted this is more restrictive, but at the same time if you build your own system, I don't see why it would have this data embedded. I'm assuming you'll only find this in pre-built systems that come with Windows. Perhaps we'll finally see pre-builts having a "No OS" option?

On the other hand, perhaps it will be exclusive to business-oriented machines? I have yet to see TPM included in any consumer PCs, but nearly every business PC has it. This seems like a step-up to TPM.
Old September 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
MVP

The main thing is this will limit the user's choice and while this may be ok in business deployed machines will be a major issue in consumer oriented pc's. I would think that Microsoft wouldn't want to go down that road again. Time will tell.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply