Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Ivy will be compatable with current p67/z68 boards, though likely with a BIOS update. Besides the die shrink it has some performance tweaks and better integrated graphics than the SB chips. A newer updated look at the Ivy architecture here Inside the Intel Ivy Bridge Microarchitecture | Hardware Secrets
Wait you mean intel is going to use the same socket for more than one generation? This can't be right lol
Old October 17, 2011, 08:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Kind of scary isn't it? They are introduxing the SB-E before Ivy comes out though.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ACK the new motherboards won't support the Sandy Bridge CPUs according to that chart. I was hoping to use that as an upgrade path from my Intel P67 board that can't overclock.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
ACK the new motherboards won't support the Sandy Bridge CPUs according to that chart. I was hoping to use that as an upgrade path from my Intel P67 board that can't overclock.
The X79 boards? Nope they are for the new LGA 2011 cpus.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

This post says it all really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Ivy Bridge is a die-shrunk Sandy Bridge. It's the tick to SB's tock. There won't be any major architecture changes. Those of you looking for lots of PCI-E lanes will be wanting the SB-E chips coming before the end of the year.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
MVP

I think one of the features of 2011/SB-E that has everyone excited is true 4 channel memory, and its increased bandwidth. I don't think we're going to see a quantum leap forward in cpu or system speed, but I do expect it will be the new speed champ.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

What will the prices be????
Old October 17, 2011, 11:14 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
I think one of the features of 2011/SB-E that has everyone excited is true 4 channel memory, and its increased bandwidth. I don't think we're going to see a quantum leap forward in cpu or system speed, but I do expect it will be the new speed champ.
Not too excited about the ram slot layout that seems to be needed for these chips though.

Somehow I doubt that the extra bandwidth will add too much, other than to some benchmarks.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Not too excited about the ram slot layout that seems to be needed for these chips though.

Somehow I doubt that the extra bandwidth will add too much, other than to some benchmarks.
Yuppers, you can bet that's going to create clearance issues with many popular cooler's when you have Tall RAM.
However its going to proliferate the use of Seal WC units as those don't interfere or get in the way of RAM Slots. Which is probably why Intel has its own LC unit done by AStek.

In synethic benchmarks yes we will see noticable differences I think, but not for day to day or at least not those of us who use the system below Max Spec.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Intel Core i7-3700K 'Ivy Bridge' gets 77W TDP