Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Most Decorated War Hero of Canada finally remembered

Quote:
Lt.-Col. William Barker, a Manitoba frontier boy turned World War I flying ace, shot down 50 enemy aircraft, inspired a character in a Hemingway story, and married Billy Bishop’s cousin.
Toronto News: The flying ace you
Old September 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Its kind of sad that this individual has been forgotten for so long.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 20, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not sad, its bloody disgraceful. What is sad is that this is how we routinely treat our war heroes.

/rant
Hell the sniper's who both beat Hathcock's long distance sniper record were drummed out of the military. Instead of them training the next gen...their talents have been wasted in the civie world (hell one IIRC is a damn fireman for petes sake!); and thats just one example that I can think of "off the top of my head". Its the down side to living in a touchy feely / fuzzy wuzzy / give peace a chance while contemplating our navel country.
/rant

Might be late, but at least the man is getting SOME of the honor he so richly deserves....to bad its taken so long.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 20, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Manitoba boy, REPRESENT
Old September 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

@ AkG - There was an investigation conducted into the members of that sniper platoon for some alleged incidents. Their treatment by the military during the investigation was what led those individuals to leave the military. At point the military refused the bronze stars the US Army awarded them.

Rob Furlong is now cop. His shot was 2430 meters.

Aaron Perry is also out of the military, not sure what he is doing. His shot was 2310 meters.

It waasn't until after the investigation started that word of their shots started to get out, and it was the US military that started to make noise about it.

Incidentally there is a British soldier that now holds the record with shots that eliminated a insurgent machine gun team at a range of 2475 meters.

@ Headsh0t - How about this for another Manitboa boy Prince, Tommy - The Canadian Encyclopedia ?
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its OT, but...
What I heard was that the brass found it "distasteful" that two Cnd boys (well one cnd and and one newfie) had done what they done wrt to their long range shots....especially when the yanks started to specifically request their platoon. Its no secret that the higher ups disliked the idea of sniper teams in the first place and that they drummed them out of the military. No idea one way or the other, but honestly, it would not surprise me in the least to hear that this is true.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The investigation was over reports that the snipers allegedly defaced the bodies of insurgents, taking distateful pictures of dead insurgents (for personal use) and one incident in which Perry allegdly defecated on the chest of a dead insurgent. Nothing was ever proven, but the damage had already been done. The NIS has a real bad tendancy to assume guilt before they start an investigation, and that has screwed more than one investigation.

Although it is true the higher brass at the time were not happy with the success that the snipers had working with the Americans.
Old September 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah its an unfortunate difference between Canada and the U.S. IMO U.S. citizens honour their heros unless proven false. Canada, it seems, wants proof and a story in the headlines before there will even be consideration to honoring them. Such a shame the military, its heros and veterans don't get the credit that is deserved. I know this is a generalization and not the case for everyone, but it seems to be prevalent.
Old September 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a link to another site that has a bit more info about LCol Barker, including some of the citations for his decorations and a fairly complete list of his air to air victories.

William George Barker
Old September 20, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great link PerryC. Thanks.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!