Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Pics of Gigabyte X79 boards seen on VR Zone

Since I am a borderline insomniac, I was poking around the web and stumbled across this on VR Zone Photos of Gigabyte's X79 motherboards from IDF by VR-Zone.com

Supposedly these are hitting the market in november, but the boards may change due to changing specs coming out of Intel.

edit...link to TPU about this story...doean't have as many nice pictures Gigabyte Displays its X79 High-End Motherboard Lineup at IDF | techPowerUp

edit 2-- Anandtech has some pics of boards from MSI, as well as a look at the Gigabyte X79 UEFI

TPU also has some pics of an Intel X79 board.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank

Last edited by PerryC; September 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice,

Interesting way to position the memory slots on them now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 14, 2011, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

With RAM slots of both sides there might cause some interesting issues with CPU cooler clearance.
Old September 14, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Indeed, Slightly strange that the UD3 has 4 slots for ram, the UD5 has 8 and the rest of the range back down to 4. odd
Old September 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Holy sata ports batman, loving it :)
Old September 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I cannot remember which site had it (over a month ago now), but there is a reason for the DIMM layout. Apperently, Intel spec's mandate this because of the 4 channels and the associated latency. To minize the latency they space all DIMMs as close to the socket as possible.

EDIT: I still shake my head at the PCI slots at some of the boards, seriously PCI?

Last edited by EmptyMellon; September 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old September 15, 2011, 03:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Big fail intel, this way to place ram is definatly gonna be a pain in the you know what I mean. Big cooler will be a real pita and smaller case wont help at all. I think they are playing with their popularity, they know we will buy anyway so they keep changing socket for nothing and now they are doing dumb thing like that. FUU you intel!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 15, 2011, 04:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
I cannot remember which site had it (over a month ago now), but there is a reason for the DIMM layout. Apperently, Intel spec's mandate this because of the 4 channels and the associated latency. To minize the latency they space all DIMMs as close to the socket as possible.

EDIT: I still shake my head at the PCI slots at some of the boards, seriously PCI?
Be thankful there is no IDE or Floppy connector on there taking up unnecessary space.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Holy sata ports batman, loving it :)
Read carefully ;)

The X79 chipset ended up having features cut at the last minute. It only provides 2 SATA3 and 4 SATA2 just like the P67/Z68. So the SATA port configuration will likely change in the production models, unless Gigabyte puts a ton of extra controllers onboard (and thus eating up PCIe lanes)
Old September 15, 2011, 08:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The X79 chipset ended up having features cut at the last minute.
Thus as much as I try, I can't seem to find any reason why to even think of buying it over a much cheaper 1155 or maybe Bulldozer (With it's never ending delays) platform... especially after seeing the benches at toms. (yes I know those are pre-production chips, but still..)