Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
What I don't get is they were provided the chip and board but didn't have a proper heatsink provided as well? Anyone else find that odd?

As for the numbers I am not overly impressed as well. Don't get me wrong sure it will be better than my 2600K but after looking at the prices, I just don't see it being a choice for people except maybe extreme benchmarkers.
Personally, I was initially excited to read the review, but like one of the posters said (on tom's), that it only looks like Intel was trying to minimize/detract from the Bulldozer release - a truelly rushed review sample; a multi-billion dollar company and they don't have at least a slap-happy heatsink. How do they test it internally?
Old September 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Keep in mind that the retail chips will NOT be shipped with heatsinks, so Intel wouldn't be supplying them to review sites either. Because these are "enthusiast" chips, Intel is now expecting the customer to choose their own HS solution. Really, we all do anyways at the higher end of the market.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Keep in mind that the retail chips will NOT be shipped with heatsinks, so Intel wouldn't be supplying them to review sites either. Because these are "enthusiast" chips, Intel is now expecting the customer to choose their own HS solution. Really, we all do anyways at the higher end of the market.
Not a problem there; it only makes sense not having a retail heatsink - less garge and material waist. But how then would let's say HWC do a test on a chip which does not have a cooler specific to its socket type available yet? Or are they not telling us something?
Old September 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
What level of chips do not get a heatsink? I'm only wondering cause I know that with the 1366 era the 960 came with one. Was it only the extreme edition that did not? Or are these just different in that aspect? Ok, I was just looking and it appears to me that at least the 1366 can come with the heatsink.

I will say that frankly a $1000 chip and they can't provide a basic heatsink is frankly crap. I know we all use third party ones and such but what about people that don't want to. I'm thinking along the lines of some of the people I work with that could actually take advantage of the extra cores and such. They just want the build to be as factory as possible. Plus it never hurts to have a spare if needed.

Old September 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The Extreme Edition LGA1366 chips come with a heat sink. Not shipping with a heatsink is a LGA2011 thing only for retail chips, although I believe they do not ship HSF's with some OEM Xeons as well.

Who would buy a $1000 OC'ing chip and leave the stock HSF on it? A very slim minority, IMHO.
Old September 13, 2011, 03:36 AM
Top Prospect

It does help the environment a little... really though, it is a $300 + line of chips, and a $500 + cost for 6 cores. I am fairly certain anyone buying it can afford the $40 cooler....
Old September 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I don't think its a bad idea to get rid of stock heatsinks on the super-high end. AMD didn't (don't???) provide them with Black ed chips when I bought my last AMD chip for myself.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I don't think its a bad idea to get rid of stock heatsinks on the super-high end. AMD didn't (don't???) provide them with Black ed chips when I bought my last AMD chip for myself.

Which one did you get? When I purchased my 1090T I got the traditional Heatpipe cooler that AMD is known for on the BE's.

That being said, I am personally okay without a stock heatsink. Why bother when I am just going to purchase my own anyways, like the vast majority of us do.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 13, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This performance is severly lacking relative to 2xxx series chips (and even X58 really!).

Guess I will be keeping X58 till Ivy after all.

Regarding the Heatsink change (We're getting a bit here);

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
That being said, I am personally okay without a stock heatsink. Why bother when I am just going to purchase my own anyways, like the vast majority of us do.

-ST
I agree.

Boxed/OEM chips are generally purchased by people building their own PC. If the price comes down the respective amount its great! To those saying 'What about those that arnt Enthusiats and buying a chip?" The majority of computers built arn't by enthusiasts you're right, but does it really change anything? Its just another thing you need to remember to buy when building parents/friends/yourself a PC, just like RAM or a HDD...

It would be interesting to hear what OEM builders like HP/Dell think of this change. My guess is it doesnt influence them in the least since they get their chips in 1k trays and HSF's separately, I'm sure.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Too much for me. Hope Bulldozer has some great benchies. The rich can have this SB-Expensive