Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2011, 11:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Sandy Bridge-E limited BCLK?

Exclusive: Intel's future base clock options unveiled

Quote:
We were disappointed to learn that Intel will only offer a single base clock option for Ivy Bridge beyond the 100MHz of Sandy Bridge, name 133MHz. For those of you that hoped to be able to overclock Ivy Bridge to your heart's content, well, it ain't gonna happen. Apparently Intel is worried that Ivy Bridge will compete with its LGA-2011 platform if it was to add more base clock options and as such things aren't set to improve much over Sandy Bridge.

As for Sandy Bridge-E, well it shares one component with the upcoming Ivy Bridge platform and you can see it quite clearly in the diagram above which is from a YouTube video that we've embedded at the bottom. The little chip marked CK505 at the bottom is the clock generator and this is what controls the base clock. As you can see there's a mention of a PEG/DMI ratio mechanism and this is what allows several different base clocks.

Unlike Ivy Bridge, Intel has enabled several options for Sandy Bridge-E and we're hearing that we can expect base clock frequencies of 100, 125, 166, 200 and 250MHz if memory serves. This might still change before the launch of the Waimea Bay platform as Intel tweak things to work as well as possible for overclockers. Still, with four rather large jumps between each of the base clocks we have a feeling that the overclocking community isn't going to be impressed. We might see the X58 platform live on for quite some time next year, despite the fact that many are feeling like it's a platform of the past already.
Old August 1, 2011, 01:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is a non-issue IMO.

As long as there are unlocked multi K-series chips (and there will be), users will still be able to push Ivy Bridge chips above the limits of most high-end cooling solutions without any problem.
Old August 1, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is a non-issue IMO.

As long as there are unlocked multi K-series chips (and there will be), users will still be able to push Ivy Bridge chips above the limits of most high-end cooling solutions without any problem.
Yeah for most people it really is a non issue because if they are overclocking they will just mess with the multi. But some people buy these systems just to play with and for them this is bad news.

For me and most people this is a non-issue but some people will be deterred.
Old August 1, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure why this matters either. Current BCLK's are limited to about 5-10mhz at most anyways. Clock generated overclocking seems to be a dying beast now with unlocked multis...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 6, 2011, 03:31 AM
Trial Member

I belive this happens mostly because AMD it's not delivering some decent competiton over SNB

So why even bother with Ivy Hardcore performance when almost All Core2Q 9***, and Corei5 7**, 8**, 9** outperforms almost all AMD based corelogic. Sandy Bridge should be at the moment what Core2 Duo
Wolfdale was back in 2007/08.

Amd Bulldozer will be a flop becasue of it's Slow IPC
Old August 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHydes View Post
I belive this happens mostly because AMD it's not delivering some decent competiton over SNB

So why even bother with Ivy Hardcore performance when almost All Core2Q 9***, and Corei5 7**, 8**, 9** outperforms almost all AMD based corelogic. Sandy Bridge should be at the moment what Core2 Duo
Wolfdale was back in 2007/08.

Amd Bulldozer will be a flop becasue of it's Slow IPC
If either the manufacturing or market isn't yet ready for the new CPUs, why should Intel quicken the pace of putting the new chips to market? That costs money. It's best to ride out the circumstances as long as possible.

Intel simply has the time and technology in reserve if it needs it. They're not going to push until they need to.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggins View Post
If either the manufacturing or market isn't yet ready for the new CPUs, why should Intel quicken the pace of putting the new chips to market? That costs money. It's best to ride out the circumstances as long as possible.

Intel simply has the time and technology in reserve if it needs it. They're not going to push until they need to.
This is the sole reason of why I want Bulldozer to be a success