Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default AMD Confirms FX Pricing: Mid-$300 for an 8-Core Processor

AMD Confirms FX Pricing: Mid-$300 for an 8-Core Processor

Quote:
Today, we met with AMD PR and executive team at E3 2011 exhibition in Los Angeles, CA and got a confirmation of a lot of information that's been rumored around the Internet.

AMD Retail packaging for an 8-Core FX Black Edition Processor - We like the metal feeling. Photo credit: Anshel Sag

In a straight talk, AMD confirmed that the pricing for FX series is going to be extremely aggressive, with their king of the hill processor, the FX-8130P coming with a street price of $320. While AMD does not want to detail the clock speeds, FX-8130P was supposed to come with a 3.8GHz core clock and Turbo 2.0 mode at 4.2GHz in 105W ACP / 130W TDP power envelope.

Official rendered image of AMD 8-Core FX Processor Black Edition box (PIB)

The company is targeting Back-to-School shopping period for the actual product launch, which will complete the two already available parts of the Scorpios platform: 900-Series chipset (or 9-Series, as AMD likes to call it) and Radeon HD 6000 Series of graphics cards.

According to AMD, the company decided to focus on gamers back with Phenom II launch, which was an overclocking hit among the enthusiasts, as well as popular core-unlocking feature, which was frowned internally but AMD did not "punish" any partners unlike moves we saw from competitors in the past. And to learn from AMD's own mistakes from the past, naturally.

While the silicon team is working hard on determining the shipping clocks of the FX processors, AMD's software team is "working heavily to help utilize eight cores in all applications, as well as games. We're working with partners to help leverage those capabilities."

All in all, we can say that AMD plans to return themselves to 20+ percent processor market and offer the best value for gamers. As we all know, strong competition is key to having decent prices on the market (does anyone remember the time when a single GPU cart was selling for $500?). Only time will tell did AMD got this one right.

For the end, we leave you with picture taken by our own Mr. Anshel Sag: rear side of the Bulldozer processor packaging.

Rear side of AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition retail packaging.
link

8 core CPU for ~$320
Old June 9, 2011, 07:17 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So that would put it at about the same performance level as a 2600K give or take with the same number of threads. It should make the market interesting for the next few months but it won't stop Intel from charging outrageous prices for Sandy Bridge E.
Old June 9, 2011, 07:46 AM
Banned
F@H

ok...now some benchies at the new clock speeds?
again,that 3.8 worries me :p

pss///k,8 threads,but each is kinda made up of two little bastuges so...
Old June 9, 2011, 07:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I too would love to see some benchmarks to see if what AMD has coming down the pipe actually can compete with SB or if it was originally designed to compete with 1366 and just beats that.
Old June 9, 2011, 07:56 AM
Banned
F@H

*looks above...what the heck did i write lol!?

multithreaded stuff should be easy,thing is most games will see good benefits from the first couple of threads/cores
and if those are not strong enough without the collective of the other not usually used? unless they found a way to
implement cross core workloads to use them all when needed,rather,wanted.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile News & Reviews

I think I'll wait a bit and start saving 4 a 20 core or so, hehe. Gpu upgrades maybe, but no hurry 2 build a new 1. By then things could b real interesting.
Old June 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
So that would put it at about the same performance level as a 2600K give or take with the same number of threads. It should make the market interesting for the next few months but it won't stop Intel from charging outrageous prices for Sandy Bridge E.
on VM view thread are not cores. but agree with you I'm not worry for Intel.
Old June 9, 2011, 11:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I suppose that the FX-8130P might be a strong contender in multithreaded applications but as for games I suppose Intel might still have the upper hand considering that most current games are not heavily threaded and a stronger single core performance usually wins in games.

SB-E will still be able to command a premium since it would potentially have more performance than the current Bulldozer but at 1k per CPU is a hefty price to pay for extra performance. The FX-8130P should be nice for folding and running some VM I suppose.
Old June 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

kind of waiting to see what is coming down the pipeline and how it stacks up vs intel before i decide to upgrade my cpu/mobo.

i really hope AMD does well with this.
Old June 10, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Man if they can get all 8cores working with all software this would be a totally amazing cpu :)