Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Anandtech reviews: Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6

Well here's Gigabyte's new contribution to the 680i lineup. It's very glitsy and feature rich, and while all of the features seem to work well, this board doesn't seem to have overcome the quad-core overclocking cap. It also doesn't seem to like 1T memory timing. It looks like the new BR revision of evga's 680i is probably the best bet right now for this chipset.

"NVIDIA introduced the 680i chipset back in early November with eager anticipation from users looking to try something different within the Intel processor world. There was a lot of hype, fanfare, and a great deal of media coverage that surrounded the launch of the NVIDIA 600i family of chipsets. We reviewed the 680i chipset in-depth at launch and came away very impressed with the capabilities for the upper-end enthusiast. Since the launch, most of the focus surrounding the 680i chipset changed from its impressive performance and flexibility to problems that seemed to plague the reference board designs from the launch partners such as EVGA and BFG and later on with in-house designs from ASUS and abit. These problems centered on audio issues when using SLI, as well as data corruption or severe performance loss when utilizing SATA drives on the reference boards. The audio issues were solved with a quick BIOS update, although we found in our testing that loading the latest Microsoft DX9 updates helped tremendously. The data corruption on drives was an entirely different issue that seemed to be centered on users with RAID arrays but also spread to single drive users under varying circumstances."

More from Anandtech