Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Don't worry guys the CRTC has our best interests in mind and won't screw this up. ;p
Fold for team #54196
Old April 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Conservative majority = monopolized communications infrastructure. Just remember that when voting this coming election.
That's a HUGE stretch IMO with absolutely zero foundation in reality.

Consider it was the Liberals who gave the CRTC the expanded powers they needed to help institute and approve things like UBB, stricter CanCon rules and draconian laws governing communications company ownership (which basically cut competition off at the knees for years).

Meanwhile, it was the Harper government that allowed for the additional wireless spectrum sales which allowed players like Wind, etc to get into the market.

Nice try though....
Old April 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look UP Citty TV they have some good Canadian content, Departures, Survivorman and Mantracker.
You can streem shows at there web site.

But ya 80 to 90 % of Canadian content is suspect.
Old April 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That's a HUGE stretch IMO with absolutely zero foundation in reality.

Consider it was the Liberals who gave the CRTC the expanded powers they needed to help institute and approve things like UBB, stricter CanCon rules and draconian laws governing communications company ownership (which basically cut competition off at the knees for years).

Meanwhile, it was the Harper government that allowed for the additional wireless spectrum sales which allowed players like Wind, etc to get into the market.

Nice try though....
Sorry, let me be more specific. Libs = telecommunications sellout; Con majority = same thing but much faster. In no way am I promoting the Liberal party. Sorry if that's the way it came off. In fact, I'm voting NDP or Green, for reasons I won't get into in this post.

Also, I don't have to dig too far into the past to find a foundation in reality. The recent Conservative flip-flop on UBB is pretty darn glaring. It was only after, what, almost 17% of Canada made their opinion known through a grassroots movement that the Conservatives caved?
Old April 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes...BUT at least they LISTENED and then did the will of the people. We are STILL stuck with a long gun registry boondoggle that even in the face of VAST and STRONG opposition was crammed down out throats. I will take the Conservatives approach of "um OK, we get the message we will make our money some other way" vs the Libs "STFU, we know whats best for you" or the NDPs "we know what is right and if you disagree you are an idiot who needs to be protected for your own good" vs the Greens "OMFG, if you are against us you are killllinnnng the worrrrllllldddd....you baby killer."

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 15, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I hate that regulations are often stopping newer and better technologies/ideas/ways of doing things from succeeding. All that just so the old way of doing things can still make money. Adapt and overcome or go bankrupt and ponder over what could have been for the rest of your life.
Old April 16, 2011, 02:27 AM
Rookie

Preventing Netflix from coming to Canada, or heavily taxing them is ridiculous. We already have little options to view content with our ridiculously low bandwidth caps. And the Cons caving to massive pressure from the public to force the hand of the CRTC doesn't show much - especially when it's just a move to push for a majority at election time.

Seems to be a few Harper supporters in here... Shit Harper Did for your viewing pleasure :)

Tags
broadcasters , crtc , netflix