Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
we only manage upstream P2P traffic on our network. Not doing this would result in a poor experience for everyone as we manage the network to limit spam, viruses and other security threats. This management ensures a high level of service for time-sensitive tasks such as sending email
I see way more spam and viruses coming from emails than from torrents
Old March 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I get 95gb a month, why are you throttling me at all? If I use up all my bandwith you charge me more.

I ask again, why are you throttling me at all for the service I pay for?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 30, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

They "claim" its to limit spam and its due to infrastructure limitations and yada yada and such and such and whatever else have you... but the truth of the matter is this:

They are in the pockets of the MPAA and the RIAA, who pay (or pressure) Rogers and Bell and AT&T to limit the bandwidth of users who are shown to generate a lot of incoming traffic and most importantly: those who have high upstream bandwidth usage.

Are you surprised? These people have been trying to control OUR internet for over a decade! Just look no further than the recent legislation to cap bandwidth (Does the Canadian UBB debacle come to mind??)

They're all a bunch of profiteering gluttons! Who charge obscene prices for a service that would be essentially free if it wasn't controlled by private interests. Cost per gigabyte? Try 3 cents. That's it. Source

$60 a month for 60-80 GB "limit" is legalized robbery. And I, for one, am tired of it all.

I could rant for days about this...

Old March 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Although I do understand how a topic such as this can be heated, we are better than some of the comments that have been made thus far.

Please consider your posts before posting, or this thread will be locked.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 30, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Although I do understand how a topic such as this can be heated, we are better than some of the comments that have been made thus far.
You didn't even chuckle a little bit?
Old March 31, 2011, 04:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I chuckled a lot, and whole heatedly agree that this is pure bollocks Perineum. Sure BLAME the customer and those dirty evilllll P2P'ers for your lack of network admin skills....yeah that sounds like a good idea Rogers. :/

Heres a better one...DONT OVERSELL YOUR LINES. If you have congestion its the markets way of telling you to UPGRADE. Spend some of that insane profit you made last year on making your network actually work. Instead of treating your customers like criminals. Never happen I know and thats why I would NEVER recommend Rogers (or Bell) to even my worst enemy. Hopefully one day these SOBs will be out of business...or the govm'nt puts them in their place like they did Bell with long distance charges in the 80s (their last cash cow).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 31, 2011, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately though, I'd say the CRTC is pretty corrupted and doesn't have the consumers best interests in mind. I wasn't alive in the 80s to see that long distance stuff unfold, but I'm guessing the CRTC was able to successfully regulate it? Nowadays it seems like the CRTC doesn't do anything to increase competition/service or keep prices reasonable.

As such, without a regulating body with control over these dual-opolies, we the consumer get the short end of the stick. And they know that we'll end up paying for it as nearly everything revolves around the Internet these days.

I laugh at all the PR from Bell/Rogers though saying otherwise. Sadly the general population believes it since the actual story is never told in the media since it's run by them.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Heres a better one...DONT OVERSELL YOUR LINES. If you have congestion its the markets way of telling you to UPGRADE. Spend some of that insane profit you made last year on making your network actually work. Instead of treating your customers like criminals. Never happen I know and thats why I would NEVER recommend Rogers (or Bell) to even my worst enemy. Hopefully one day these SOBs will be out of business...or the govm'nt puts them in their place like they did Bell with long distance charges in the 80s (their last cash cow).
They need the money to try and buy the Leafs, and as Leafs fans you know they can only be one of two things.
Old March 31, 2011, 08:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm starting my own ISP, who's in?

Give me 2 years before I throttle and become really greedy.

Tags
bit torrent , rogers. wow