Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2011, 03:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, COD on Xbox360 was a problem as well because they used a P2P protocol for their multiplayer.... game would scan for best connection, give it to the Rogers customer because of highest speed/ping..... 30 seconds after game starts, other players being dropped because the rogers system recognised it as P2P and started throttling.

Sorry, but I place the blame on the game producers for this issue.... it's not like it's a secret that most major ISPs throttle P2P traffic so it's pretty hard to cry foul when their system works as advertised.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 29, 2011, 07:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My only complaint with this is we pay for a service and their lines are in most cases already paid for in full. Yes bandwidth costs money but wow they really charge us a ton. The USA has great rates compared to us and get way better speeds.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old March 29, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sorry, but I place the blame on the game producers for this issue.... it's not like it's a secret that most major ISPs throttle P2P traffic so it's pretty hard to cry foul when their system works as advertised.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Considering they are making the games for larger markets than just Canada. They are using a system that generally works great, the only issue is when the ISP's step in a throttle a connection that you legitimately paid for and are legitimately using. The one who is in the wrong here is the ISP. As it is throttling is not needed and if they are throttling and truthfully need to then they should be upgrading their network to handle the strain of what they have already sold.

Old March 29, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm on Rogers, but my p2p uploads do not appear to be throttled as described in this thread. Since I have a 1 Mbps upload, I set my torrent client to allow only 96 kB/s - or about 75% of my upload bandwidth. When I'm in on some more popular torrents, I often reach my self-imposed 96 kB/s limit.

Perhaps I should not have said that out loud...

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old March 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
Allstar

Ive been working for Ted for 12 tears now, ANd i can tell you this... Get used to it, It wont change.

Have you guys not seen the new promo Speed boost?

Your paying for the service your suppose to get, We are selling back to you twice now.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Here is what pisses me off.

Everyone thinks that P2P networks is bad.. ie .. Torrents.

They aren't and bodies like ISPs are making them out to be.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All the more reason to get teksavvy cable. No throttling, just growing pains.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bell will find a way to kill Techsavvy. It is inevitable. Rogers and Bell are not allowed near my house, they have no wires touching my house and if they were the only choices I'd be without.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
Trial Member

Hi All,

@RogersMelanie here from Rogers.

I wanted to provide some details on World of Warcraft and our network management policies.

Firstly, our network management policy makes clear that we only manage upstream P2P traffic on our network. Not doing this would result in a poor experience for everyone as we manage the network to limit spam, viruses and other security threats. This management ensures a high level of service for time-sensitive tasks such as sending email, requesting web pages, video conferencing and voice services. You can find full details about the policy on rogers.com

Now, on to WoW - what we know today is that there is a problem with our traffic management equipment that is inadvertently slowing the game for some customers. While we have fixed some issues with a software modification, new problems have emerged that we expect will be addressed with a second software update in June.

We believe the problem occurs when P2P is running while simultaneously playing the game. If you are experiencing problems we suggest you turn off the peer to peer setting within the WoW game and ensure no other P2P file sharing applications are running while playing WoW. WoW does use P2P for software updates, but with this setting changed you should continue to automatically receive software updates through other methods.

This is only a temporary solution. We continue to work closely with the game manufacturer and our equipment supplier to help resolve this issue as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience while we have been investigating issues related to World of Warcraft.

@RogersMelanie
Old March 30, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to Rogers thinking everyone who uses P2P are criminals

*applaud*

Tags
bit torrent , rogers. wow