Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2011, 11:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Perhaps you'd like to clarify just Why they need 16Mb Sky? Or is that kind of info NDA-centric? lol...
Unfortunately, I can't discuss. However, what I can say once again is that not all upcoming CPUs will be compatible with these boards.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup they are almost different mobos with the same model name. I used those two as it is the most blatant example of what I was saying. This is marketing pure and simple. I personally got burned by the AM2 vs AM2+ BS...and it looks like AMD is at it again. Call a spade a spade, cut the ties and make it require a new mobo. AMD is just as bad as Intel at this...but at least Intel is more honest about it and basically tells you NEED to buy a new mobo as the socket type is 100% different. None of this "+" nonsense.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Wholeheartedly disagreed AkG.
The users that want maximum performance will buy, brand-new, the highest cpu/motherboard no matter what, once it comes out. They won't be the ones to cheap out and buy the lower-end motherboard. Those same people now get to buy a new processor and give their cheaper system a boost, while those same max. perf. users will buy the brand new boards when they come out along with the matching CPUs as soon as theyre released. This is excellent. Budget minded users still get to upgrade to some newer tech for cheap (since they don't buy high-end anyways), and enthusiasts still get their new whole platform. This isnt the same for intel... you don't seem them making a SB processor in 775 or whatnot . Just doesn't happen. AMD's platform longevity is still superior IMO.

Edit:
Just to be clear(er): I don't like the same model#/two different boards thing. Thats just dumb, but thats also the fault of the Board manufacturers, not the fault of the platform or strategy itself.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Remember the AM2 mobos that were supposed to officially support AM2+ chips...and they fried as soon as you stuck one in it? The idea of AMD "platform longevity" is a great theory. Sadly the reality has as many holes in it, and as many caveats as the idea of Santa Clause (ie there is some truth to it...but the reality is completely different than the IDEA). AMD is almost as aggressive in releasing new new new as Intel is and they do it for the exact same reason: money. Hell in some ways AMD is worse. Not that long ago the 790 based mobos were their top of the line...yet you cant get TRIM on them with AMD drivers. :/

I just wonder what "issues" will pop up with THIS "+" generation. And how long before it is replaced with the next "new" series.

I honestly hope AMD has learned from past mistakes...but I sure as hell wont be the first to TRY it out. Rather spend the couple bucks (as lets face it...AMD mobos are CHEAP) and get new than risk it...and its not like the 6 cores they have out now suck or anything (I like my 1090T @ 3.8 )

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 16, 2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
The users that want maximum performance will buy, brand-new, the highest cpu/motherboard no matter what, once it comes out. They won't be the ones to cheap out and buy the lower-end motherboard.
The people you speak of won't be "cheaping out" and buying Bulldozer then.

Don't take that offensively in any way though since I am sure BD will be a good alternative against Intel's Nehalem / Bloomfield architecture.

The whole reason AMD does this "upgrade" thing is because their market is and will continue to be more budget-minded consumers. For the people who don't care how much they spend, Intel will continue to be the performance leader but their chips and associated motherboards come with a price.

Unfortunately, since AMD's specs that given to mobo manufacturers seem to change every week it is very hard for any to adapt their designs to meet their intended market's needs. Hence why I think this whole forwards compatibility thing needs to be rethought so it is MUCH simpler for the end user.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:36 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

OH yeah, it Should be simpler. But it's better than no upgrade path at all... Intel = scrap what you have an buy new stuff. AMD = Maybe get a new CPU and save the rest? Better than nothing . Needs improvement though, you're right.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:48 PM

Honestly, the fact that BD might be backwards compatible with past platforms should be disturbing to people reading this. It basically means BD won't be a significant departure from an architecture that has served AMD for the better part of a decade now. AMD NEEDS a new architecture from the ground up in order to compete and prove to the market that they have what it takes to compete.
Old March 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes they need a new platform that does not discriminate against the GPU's either.

Nothing makes me more upset then being stuck with one vendor.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, the fact that BD might be backwards compatible with past platforms should be disturbing to people reading this. It basically means BD won't be a significant departure from an architecture that has served AMD for the better part of a decade now. AMD NEEDS a new architecture from the ground up in order to compete and prove to the market that they have what it takes to compete.
From what I understand of this backward compatibility: The BD CPUs will work in these AM3 boards, but will not act with the full features of the new BD architecture. Therefore it is an improvement... just not much of an improvement if you put a BD CPU in an older board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yes they need a new platform that does not discriminate against the GPU's either.

Nothing makes me more upset then being stuck with one vendor.

ST
Discriminate how? Is that slightly Nvidia's fault for no longer created SLI-capable chipsets? Many users have a GTX580 (single) on AMD boards without issue or performance hit, so i dont know what else you could mean.
Old March 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
From what I understand of this backward compatibility: The BD CPUs will work in these AM3 boards, but will not act with the full features of the new BD architecture. Therefore it is an improvement... just not much of an improvement if you put a BD CPU in an older board.

Discriminate how? Is that slightly Nvidia's fault for no longer created SLI-capable chipsets? Many users have a GTX580 (single) on AMD boards without issue or performance hit, so i dont know what else you could mean.

I don't know the back story as to why, but I like SLI , and nVidia even more after the combination of 4 Seperate 6XXX series build problems.

I would like SLI support.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com