Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

the only way i can see it being compatible with the formula is it already having extra pins cause isnt the am3+ supposed to have like 50 extra pins or something
Old March 16, 2011, 05:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No, I believe it has 1 more, so that old CPUs will still fit in the socket.
Old March 16, 2011, 05:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Future proofing isn't always a good thing with hardware as you have to still support and have a similar architecture to legacy ones, making the newer architecture not as potentially effective or powerful due to this.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:09 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Future proofing isn't always a good thing with hardware as you have to still support and have a similar architecture to legacy ones, making the newer architecture not as potentially effective or powerful due to this.
I think thats its fine actually. The processor will work in the "legacy" motherboard, just without full features, but still perform better than the previous processor. Then, when you do eventually upgrade your motherboard, it gets even better
Old March 16, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you notice, not all past boards WILL support the new chip. Take the GB UD5 890 for example. ONLY the latest revision 3.1 boards will support it. Earlier versions will not. This leads me to beleive that the "universal" socket is a late addition, and its a bit misleading to say "all" of a given motherboard will work. I'd be awfully damn careful BEFORE assuming it will work in you existing mobo. CHECK the mfg'er site to see which revision IS supported, check your mobo to see what revision you HAVE and then and only then assume it will work (or wont).

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.1)

vs

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.0)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The issue is the ROM size. 16MB is needed for Bulldozer and not many boards have that.

In addition, NOT ALL Bulldozer-class CPUs will be compatible with these boards. Only certain ones will.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If you notice, not all past boards WILL support the new chip. Take the GB UD5 890 for example. ONLY the latest revision 3.1 boards will support it. Earlier versions will not. This leads me to beleive that the "universal" socket is a late addition, and its a bit misleading to say "all" of a given motherboard will work. I'd be awfully damn careful BEFORE assuming it will work in you existing mobo. CHECK the mfg'er site to see which revision IS supported, check your mobo to see what revision you HAVE and then and only then assume it will work (or wont).

vs

Yes, this is what I was alluding to in my earlier posting.
Thanks AkG for the links, and clarifying.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

wasn't there a page some one posted a while back saying M.S.I would support am3+ with existing boards and they would only need a new bios flash. maybe its gonna be a way for the companies to keep cost down, just add a slightly different socket to its already existing 800 series boards.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The issue is the ROM size. 16MB is needed for Bulldozer and not many boards have that.

In addition, NOT ALL Bulldozer-class CPUs will be compatible with these boards. Only certain ones will.
Perhaps you'd like to clarify just Why they need 16Mb Sky? Or is that kind of info NDA-centric? lol...
Old March 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

vs

If you look at the pictures of the MOB you linked to the 3.0 has AM3 stamped on the board and the 3.1 has AM3+ stamped on it. Also, the 3.1 looks like its has one or two pin holes that are open on the top right of the socket picture that are closed over on the 3.0.

Last edited by Bond007; March 16, 2011 at 09:37 AM.