Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Unboxing and First Impressions & Review [TCMS]

There's also a comparison with the Logitech G15 v2.

YouTube - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Unboxing and First Impressions : TCMS

YouTube - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard Review : TCMS

Last edited by ADay2Long; March 6, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old March 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

As great as that Razer keyboard looks, I don't think I could ever use a keyboard that doesn't have an LCD like my first gen G15. The display is just far too useful for me to ever give up :/
Old March 5, 2011, 04:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds more like a CLICK rather than the usual CLACK of a mechanical keyboard.
Old March 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the one thing that ticks me off is the gloss finish.
It'll look nice at first, then after a day of use it will look all smudged and dirty.
Old March 5, 2011, 04:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
it uses cherry mx blue switches which are clicky and tactile. cherry mx black switches (steelseries) are neither tactile or clicky and would produce more of a clack.

here's a review from a mechanical keyboard enthusiast:

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Review - geekhack forums
Old March 5, 2011, 05:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a Razer blackwidow since it's release in December, so I've had a bit of time to asses this keyboard. I only have two issues with the black widow, no wrist rest I know it's a small this for some but for me I need a rest to prevent fatigue. My second issue with the black widow is the location of the usb and audio ports, they put them on the right side of the keyboard. This location causes problems for right handed gamers, if you use the ports your usb or audio jacks will interfer will mouse movements. why couldn't they put the ports along the top of the keyboard out of the way. For a company that claims it's products are made by gamers for gamers placing those ports were they could interfere with your game is unacceptable, this alone is why I will be selling this board and buying a Steel series 7G.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old March 6, 2011, 04:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yes the keyboard is very "clicky", thanks to the Cherry MX Blue.
Old March 6, 2011, 04:55 PM
Allstar

G15 seems to be the better. I don't like the connections nor do I see a purpose of having a mic, headphone jack at the keyboard. PS2 connection would be better anyway over the USB if you are really into a true mechanical keyboard.

CHEERS
Old March 6, 2011, 05:14 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
I've had a Razer blackwidow since it's release in December, so I've had a bit of time to asses this keyboard. I only have two issues with the black widow, no wrist rest I know it's a small this for some but for me I need a rest to prevent fatigue. My second issue with the black widow is the location of the usb and audio ports, they put them on the right side of the keyboard. This location causes problems for right handed gamers, if you use the ports your usb or audio jacks will interfer will mouse movements. why couldn't they put the ports along the top of the keyboard out of the way. For a company that claims it's products are made by gamers for gamers placing those ports were they could interfere with your game is unacceptable, this alone is why I will be selling this board and buying a Steel series 7G.
Personally I wouldn't suggest the 7G. Its key caps pop off way too easily and the half size backspace is a real pain in the ass.

And Cherry MX blue key switches are far better than the MX black key switches used in the 7G.

This is coming from someone who has both the 7G and a Filco w/ blues.
Old March 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
G15 seems to be the better. I don't like the connections nor do I see a purpose of having a mic, headphone jack at the keyboard. PS2 connection would be better anyway over the USB if you are really into a true mechanical keyboard.
The g15 is not a mechanical keyboard, all depends what you are looking for.

Yes a PS2 connection for a mechanical keyboard solves some problems, mainly ghosting, but you cannot use all the macros and profiles with the PS2 connector, you need USB (says Razer, makes sense).