Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 04:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I've seen many claims of a dual something nVidia, but never anything concrete.

So, I'll believe it when I see it.

ST
I'm with ST - we've seen a lot of engineering samples of dual nvidia chipset cards.. and nothing hit the market. They are probably too power hungry, or too expensive to produce.. or would carry such a price tag - anyone who would want one, already has two GTX 580s anyways.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I'm with ST - we've seen a lot of engineering samples of dual nvidia chipset cards.. and nothing hit the market. They are probably too power hungry, or too expensive to produce.. or would carry such a price tag - anyone who would want one, already has two GTX 580s anyways.

Probably why we've not seen a 6990 on our shelves yet. Not to say that it isn't comming...just that with cards like these there are always problems.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 4, 2011, 08:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Probably why we've not seen a 6990 on our shelves yet.
The fact that AMD has power consumption issues with Cayman-series cards isn't anything new, that's for sure. We have to remember that Antilles was originally supposed to incorporate a pair of 32nm Ibiza cores rather than the 40nm Cayman. I am sure the difference between the two has necessitated a fundamental shift in deisgn.

NVIDIA on the other hand has been grappling with the increased TDP that comes with expanding fixed function stage rendering capabilities for some time now and they have a pretty good handle on it.

If I had to look into my crystal ball and predict what will happen over the next few months, I'd say that if NVIDIA were to choose to proceed with a dual GPU card, it will likely be available before Antilles.
Old February 4, 2011, 09:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The fact that AMD has power consumption issues with Cayman-series cards isn't anything new, that's for sure. We have to remember that Antilles was originally supposed to incorporate a pair of 32nm Ibiza cores rather than the 40nm Cayman. I am sure the difference between the two has necessitated a fundamental shift in deisgn.

NVIDIA on the other hand has been grappling with the increased TDP that comes with expanding fixed function stage rendering capabilities for some time now and they have a pretty good handle on it.

If I had to look into my crystal ball and predict what will happen over the next few months, I'd say that if NVIDIA were to choose to proceed with a dual GPU card, it will likely be available before Antilles.
You know better than I Sky on such matters. I was just generalizing.

Although I'm anxious to 'see' what these cards can do. I have neither the capital to afford them, nor the desire when SLI/X-Fired cards are less buggy and give better performance.
Well, thats just a guess, we shall see.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com