Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 4, 2011, 04:00 AM
Rison's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Truro, NS
Posts: 936

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I've seen many claims of a dual something nVidia, but never anything concrete.

So, I'll believe it when I see it.

ST
I'm with ST - we've seen a lot of engineering samples of dual nvidia chipset cards.. and nothing hit the market. They are probably too power hungry, or too expensive to produce.. or would carry such a price tag - anyone who would want one, already has two GTX 580s anyways.
__________________

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,066

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I'm with ST - we've seen a lot of engineering samples of dual nvidia chipset cards.. and nothing hit the market. They are probably too power hungry, or too expensive to produce.. or would carry such a price tag - anyone who would want one, already has two GTX 580s anyways.

Probably why we've not seen a 6990 on our shelves yet. Not to say that it isn't comming...just that with cards like these there are always problems.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 4, 2011, 08:46 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Probably why we've not seen a 6990 on our shelves yet.
The fact that AMD has power consumption issues with Cayman-series cards isn't anything new, that's for sure. We have to remember that Antilles was originally supposed to incorporate a pair of 32nm Ibiza cores rather than the 40nm Cayman. I am sure the difference between the two has necessitated a fundamental shift in deisgn.

NVIDIA on the other hand has been grappling with the increased TDP that comes with expanding fixed function stage rendering capabilities for some time now and they have a pretty good handle on it.

If I had to look into my crystal ball and predict what will happen over the next few months, I'd say that if NVIDIA were to choose to proceed with a dual GPU card, it will likely be available before Antilles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 4, 2011, 09:01 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,066

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The fact that AMD has power consumption issues with Cayman-series cards isn't anything new, that's for sure. We have to remember that Antilles was originally supposed to incorporate a pair of 32nm Ibiza cores rather than the 40nm Cayman. I am sure the difference between the two has necessitated a fundamental shift in deisgn.

NVIDIA on the other hand has been grappling with the increased TDP that comes with expanding fixed function stage rendering capabilities for some time now and they have a pretty good handle on it.

If I had to look into my crystal ball and predict what will happen over the next few months, I'd say that if NVIDIA were to choose to proceed with a dual GPU card, it will likely be available before Antilles.
You know better than I Sky on such matters. I was just generalizing.

Although I'm anxious to 'see' what these cards can do. I have neither the capital to afford them, nor the desire when SLI/X-Fired cards are less buggy and give better performance.
Well, thats just a guess, we shall see.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] PSP GO ToXic Buy/Sell & Trade 10 March 22, 2011 09:42 PM
The new EVGA dual GF110 card!!! Delavan Video Cards 24 January 12, 2011 09:08 PM
New build @Feb. 15, 2010 curry New Builds 4 January 26, 2010 03:08 PM
ESata dual raid enclosure = poor man's hardware raid? sswilson Storage 10 May 6, 2008 09:58 AM
Big Bruin reviews 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum SLI-Ready Edition dual channel kit Supergrover Reviews & Articles from the Web 0 January 2, 2007 02:18 PM