Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Tom's: Overclocking 9 Value-Priced DDR2-800 Kits

This might help people wade through the ever burgeoning line-up of mid range ddr2 800 memory. The top rated patriot ram is on for a good price ($251 CAD) right now here. (and best of all for people like me- it's on the evga 680i compatibility list)

"After nearly a year of waiting, we finally have the "industry standard" PC2-6400 that many have wanted for AM2 platforms. Pushed forward by Core 2 overclocking, AMD actually got the ball rolling last spring by fully supporting the standard back when the Core 2 Duo was still a rumor. Looking forward to Intel's upcoming FSB1600, one has to wonder what took the industry so long to deliver a product that should have been in high demand!
Previous-generation PC2-6400 modules have been "enthusiast" parts that required manual BIOS configuration, something that was not possible on some motherboards, and raised a compatibility issue for some builders. Early DDR2-800 prices - up to double those of the DDR2-667 components they were based upon - killed many hopes of overclocking to save money.
The emergence of industry standard parts assures automatic configuration for rated speeds at their default voltage (1.80 V for DDR2 DIMMs), and a compatibility guarantee for all PC2-6400 capable motherboards. Standardization also extends these high-bandwidth parts into preconfigured system markets, with mass-market-friendly prices sure to put smiles on the faces of value-seekers."

More from Tom's