Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2010, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Default amd caught cheating reviews?

Quote:
Review Websites Discover AMD Driver Reduces Image Quality

PC gaming enthusiasts understand image quality (IQ) is a critical part of the PC gaming experience. They frequently upgrade their GPUs to play the latest games at high frame rates, while also dialing up the display resolution and graphical IQ effects to make their games both look and play great. Image quality is important, and if it were not important, we'd all be playing at 10x7 with no AA!

Important Benchmarking Issues and Questionable Optimizations
We are writing this blog post to bring broader attention to some very important image quality findings uncovered recently by top technology Web sites including ComputerBase, PC Games Hardware, Tweak PC, and 3DCenter.org. They all found that changes introduced in AMD's Catalyst 10.10 default driver settings caused an increase in performance and a decrease in image quality. These changes in AMD's default settings do not permit a fair apples-to-apples comparison to NVIDIA default driver settings. NVIDIA GPUs provide higher image quality at default driver settings, which means comparative AMD vs. NVIDIA testing methods need to be adjusted to compensate for the image quality differences.
note: article is written by nvidia, but apparently verified by/based on 3 european review sites' articles.

what do you guys think? and have you guys noticed this? i don't recall reading anything that you guys adjust driver control panel settings to equalize IQ for either brand.

and a poster on another forum is arguing that they are actually lowering IQ further by adjusting catylst ai to "high" from "quality" to meet nvidia's allegedly lower by default IQ. which seems to contradict the whole article. but i don't have a PC with an amd card installed to verify that, and the article he linked to explain the settings as back up of his arguments uses different terminology than "high" and "quality" i did link him to a page in your recent 6800 series launch review, but it does not adequately explain each setting's effect. but it does seem to imply that if the eu sites are correct, or the article is correct, you guys may not be aware of the impact of this default setting?

comments? discussion?
Old November 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
Rookie

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...2845&Itemid=47

link to articl ebecause my post count did not meet requiremnt to post links.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

What's there to discuss? It's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The only thing they can argue is that AMD gets better frames when their IQ isn't set to HQ. That's it. Good luck discerning a real difference with the naked eye.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

We have a pretty lengthy discussion on this in the news section.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 21, 2010, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
We have a pretty lengthy discussion on this in the news section.
sorry i missed it, i'll go take a look there thanks.
Old November 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Duplicate thread closed.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Closed Thread