Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fastest Internet Yet?

That new worlds fastest supercomputer made me think of this what I just read yesterday.

From the article:
Quote:
In the test, technicians were able to suck down a 2.3GB movie in four ticks of the second hand,....
Verizon FiOS field trial introduces XG-PON2 to the lexicon, shows 10Gbps capabilities -- Engadget

How can you say, I want? I want bad.

Old October 29, 2010, 10:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wont work for home users as we're limited to a gigabit ethernet adapter typically as well as typically commercially the fastest router/switch you can get is a gigabit.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hm...10Gbps acces with 1gbps network adapter...would that mean some kind of way to get rid of data limitation??? If the server can provide 10 time what user canuse...maybe? But they wont do it since they like making money...

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 30, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Wont work for home users as we're limited to a gigabit ethernet adapter typically as well as typically commercially the fastest router/switch you can get is a gigabit.

Well the adapter in your machine isn't that big of a deal since you can get 10gb adapters for less than $500. Is it really worth it? Well at this point no, but it is nice to see it coming.

The router of course is another leap but hey just the fact that they have it running on existing hardware means that it is not too terribly far off.

I know that I would sure like this kind of speed. Of course with that speed I would need hard drives or SSD's that could keep up with it.

Old October 30, 2010, 04:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We'll eventually get there in speed. Right now i'm very happy with Bell Aliant as i have their high speed fibop package which delivers to my house a download speed of 75Mpbs and upload speed of 15Mpbs, with no cap.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
We'll eventually get there in speed. Right now i'm very happy with Bell Aliant as i have their high speed fibop package which delivers to my house a download speed of 75Mpbs and upload speed of 15Mpbs, with no cap.
Damn that is nice speed. Here I am happy with 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

Old October 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is wicked speed. The problem is that even though it will eventually be implemented in Canada, the providers will rob us blind for using it. We're already being bled dry for speeds and caps we have now. I wish I had the speeds I have here at work at home.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old October 31, 2010, 12:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Damn and I tought I had a good deal with teksavvy 40$ for 5Mb/s and unlimited bandwidth.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ah laval, the only server i've found so far that comes close to accurately saying what my net speeds are

Note: I am not getting internet from UNB, i just happen to be a hop to their backbone fibre and speed tests report it as such.
Old October 31, 2010, 07:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well the adapter in your machine isn't that big of a deal since you can get 10gb adapters for less than $500. Is it really worth it? Well at this point no, but it is nice to see it coming.

The router of course is another leap but hey just the fact that they have it running on existing hardware means that it is not too terribly far off.

I know that I would sure like this kind of speed. Of course with that speed I would need hard drives or SSD's that could keep up with it.
Wouldn't work for everybody, but if the modem were incorporated into a 1G router it'd be worthwhile to folks like myself who're running 5 PCs even if those PCs were only sucking 1G per. It'd also be well worthwhile for a multiple wireless setup (think hotspot in a motel/hotel).

Individual PCs would be limited by their own connection speed, but there'd be tons of overhead to allow for many PCs to connect without affecting the speeds of the other PCs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP