Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   GeForce GTX 580 - Coming this December (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/37127-geforce-gtx-580-coming-december.html)

Avid6eek October 15, 2010 11:51 AM

GeForce GTX 580 - Coming this December

GeForce GTX 580 Details:

512 CUDA Cores (vs 480 Fermi)
128 Texture Unites (vs 64 Fermi)
512bit Memory Bus (vs 384bit Fermi)
TDP: <300w
ETA: December 2010

Source: Nvidia working on GF100 successor

Looks to be an interesting Q4 with the AMD's Radeon 59XX series coming in November, and then the dual GPU Cayman cards coming in December.

JD October 15, 2010 11:54 AM

Basically what Fermi was supposed to be originally? :whistle:

Soultribunal October 15, 2010 12:02 PM

THough I don't think the GF100 Core was a complete sucess, I don't think it was a failure either.

Realistically, even for the 200 series cards the 260 was the most popular. With all others fitting into their niche.

However I will honestly say that I'll believe this for both companies when I see it, and some proper testing.

ST

martin_metal_88 October 15, 2010 12:25 PM

Ok so a 700$ ( probably over ) card with a ( certainly ) noisy cooler to cool it and also dead rare because the succes rate of the chip will certainly be low? Compare to a 500$ GPU with near alf TDP...Seriously, this just sound like Nvidia have no idea how to get their card competitive.

Avid6eek October 15, 2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 439232)
I don't think it was a failure either.

nVidia currently holds about 18% of the Direct X 11 market...is that closer to a failure or a success?

Consider this...with AMD dominating the DX11 market, as well has having the design wins for the next generation consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, nVidia isn't going to be able to peddle their proprietary CUDA and Physx technology that nobody wants. It's not that it's bad technology, but the industry prefers open standards. Nvidia's CEO is arrogant and it is catching up to them in a big hurry.

That being said, if the GTX 580 offers the best performance for the money, that's what I'm going to buy. If they keep up the current trend of charging a premium because they think CUDA and Physx holds some value, then AMD it is.

Soultribunal October 15, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid6eek (Post 439241)
nVidia currently holds about 18% of the Direct X 11 market...is that closer to a failure or a success?

Consider this...with AMD dominating the DX11 market, as well has having the design wins for the next generation consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, nVidia isn't going to be able to peddle their proprietary CUDA and Physx technology that nobody wants. It's not that it's bad technology, but the industry prefers open standards. Nvidia's CEO is arrogant and it is catching up to them in a big hurry.

That being said, if the GTX 580 offers the best performance for the money, that's what I'm going to buy. If they keep up the current trend of charging a premium because they think CUDA and Physx holds some value, then AMD it is.

THat doesnt' suprise me. AMD had the lead.

However if both come out a month or two apart , it will be interesting to see what comes of that.
And I wasn't talking about market just so you know. Markets and CEO's and the likes aren't of my concern nor something I can quantify in performance stats. I was talking about the actual Arcitecture itself.

ST

Sagath October 15, 2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid6eek (Post 439241)

And Intel holds over 50%. Does that make them the GPU leaders of the industry?

Put the market percentages in perspective, please. Are we talking about 'number of GPUs in computers' as an identifying factor of success? I guess AMD and nVidia both fail then :sad:

Statistics can be easily skewed in any direction with a little rubbing and nudging of words and numbers.

Back on track, this really just looks like a full die GF100 core, maybe with some minor tweaks to help power and performance? Should still be an interesting part.

Myself, I'm still waiting to see the GTX475 full die GF104. Even the full die GF106 should be something to behold. Of course that being said the next gen cards are probably only 6-12 months out from being released once the full die current gen cards hit the market......

SKYMTL October 15, 2010 01:14 PM

After numerous conversations with NVIDIA over the last few weeks allow me to say one thing about this "news":

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Iphikratous October 15, 2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 439246)
And Intel holds over 50%. Does that make them the GPU leaders of the industry?

Keyword in his quote was DirectX 11.

_dangtx_ October 15, 2010 01:47 PM

you guys want me to rerepeat myself on the matter? :)

ill believe it once i see it reviewed for frog's sake