Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
I just hope (for their sake) they are better prepared to deliver this time and not delay them like the 4xx's .....I'll believe it when I see them on the shelves.
Gonna have to side with you on this one mate, I will believe it when I see them sitting in NCIX inventory.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

True that. Paper launches and accidentally on purpose leaks failed to impress me eons ago. I buy what best suits my needs and can be purchased right then and there. Waiting for the "next best thing" thats "just around the corner" is for suckers. Sadly PT Barnum was right when he said there was one born every minute and thats why tricks like that are still done.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sky does have connections better than any one of us. I would say at least on par with semi accurate. More than likely more connections because Sky doesn't go for big hit articles of BS every day. I trust SKY and near the launch of almost every major release he has given hints about stuff and they almost have always been true. Semi accurate is just that. They aren't even accurate most of the time.

If I had to choose between to people to trust with my life I would choose sky any day over charlie.

Sky could post rumors and get huge hits but then he wouldn't be a reviewer any more.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 21, 2010, 07:04 PM
Banned
F@H

true, but dont forget that pr is there for one and one reason :)
Old October 23, 2010, 08:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

big nvidia fan, but seriously, there coming out with another card already.
Old October 23, 2010, 04:12 PM
MVP
F@H

From Engadget:

Quote:

What's this, a bit of intrigue from NVIDIA? The company is due for a refresh on its DirectX 11 line and, with AMD's Cayman series floating its way to availability on crystal-clear waters, the competition appears to be teasing its response. NVIDIA briefly listed a card called the GTX 580 on its System Requirements page and, while we don't know how long it was there, it was quickly pulled after news of its presence started making the rounds. Accidental addition or the intentional planting of a seed of doubt in the minds of AMD fans? We'll never know, and we don't know the details of the card either, but expectations are that it contains 40nm construction with 512 CUDA cores, 2GB of GDDR5 memory, and a due date before the end of the year. That should give you plenty of time to upgrade your power supply... again.
Source: NVIDIA lists unannounced GTX 580 graphics card on its page, quickly puts it back in hiding -- Engadget
Old October 24, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

^ I read this and I was like OH SHI~

If this thing is due for the end of the year, all I have to say is that it's about time NV had the balls. DON'T BE A PUSSY; CRANK YOUR FANS, IT'LL WORK!

Fingers crossed for this release, but definitely not putting all my eggs in this basket. I'd love to see how it works though. My 480 still has some lag problems in JC2 with everything maxed, mainly in heavily forested areas. Extra CUDA cores are appealing...

I also wonder what NV's gonna do about the price of the 480 still hovering at ~$500 even though the 470 is now $260. Release an in-between card? Drop the 480's price? Release 580 to fill gap where 480 once stood? Why would they call it the 580 and not the 485 or 490? Or even the 680, since they decided to jump by 2 rather than 1 in their naming scheme...Why did they decide to release 3-series as low-end cards anyway?

One thing I've been curious about is that ATI's 5870 is 11", GTX480 is still packed into the same 10.5" frame we've been seeing for awhile now. I wouldn't mind if the GTX 480 were a bit longer if it means better/quieter cooling, less heat. You know, for the people who love to jump on the whole "HEAT/POWER CONSUMPTION" argument.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old October 24, 2010, 04:29 AM
Rookie

As I see it, with the new MSI GTX460 / eVGA GTX460 (high-end OC'd cards), the GTX470 just becomes irrelevant (not to mention the GTX465 fiasco). This is very good for the customer, specially people like myself:
- GTX 470 pricing will fall to about ~220/250, permitting affordable SLI + Physics (I use a GTX 280 for this). So, you have a card that performs better then the AMD 6870, retails for about the same price, is now maturing (third party cooling), scales better, and can do 3xSLI or 4XSLI (if you have the Mobo for that). Neither the GTX460, nor the AMD 68XX, can do this - so the GTX 470, all of a sudden starts to look pretty good.
Besides, nVidia cards display better IMO, then their AMD counterparts. This is subjective, but that's what is missing from current reviews - the subjective element. As a store owner I can tell you that most people, seeing exactly the same image, on two Monitors of the same built/model, always say the one with the nvidia card looks much better the AMD one (they don't know which is which, but I do). This happens even when the FPS of nvidia are lower then the FPS of AMD (think too many reviews, today, really too much on graphs).
The question now is, will nvidia permit the GTX470 cannibalizing the GTX460 market; or are more price cuts on the way for the 460?
- GTX480 » Is just now maturing, with the release of MSI's latest card, so nvidia can afford to wait-out November before releasing the GF110...but can't hold out for much more time, maybe mid December.
For the end-user it's a win/win situation. For nvidia, it's make-or-break. They can't afford another high-end card that takes half a year, or more (GTX470/480), to mature. They need to hit-the-ball-out-of-the-park Card, both with Drivers and hardware efficiency. The best course I see, if nvidia is to survive, is for it to give it's partners total freedom at redesigning the GPU - from the go, and not have to stick with the, usually, ridiculous stock-cooling solutions.
Nvidia is facing a life-or-death situation. I hope they make it thew, first because their Cards display so much better, and DX11 is an irrelevant technology; but mainly because this war keeps the GPU's evolving, the prices reasonable, and nobody wants a one-card maker monopoly. Maybe it's time for Intel to step up to the plate, and put AMD in it's place...Nvidia going bust, a possibility, would probably make this happen.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Fingers crossed for this release, but definitely not putting all my eggs in this basket. I'd love to see how it works though. My 480 still has some lag problems in JC2 with everything maxed, mainly in heavily forested areas. Extra CUDA cores are appealing...
2 x 480 SLi = No lag anywhere in any games ;) (thats at 1920 x 1200 Res though) .......agreed, if you're insistent on leaving Fans on Auto...you'll be battling heat !!!

As for the 580 release.....I noticed that the 480 (Evga) is not available at either NCIX or DC....only "TR"'s are available at Evga...hhhmmmmm....perhaps letting stock run out in preparation of a new beast?!

Old October 24, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This is starting to look a bit more sketch than before...perhaps NV IS going to release their new card!

I wonder if it's literally going to be a 480 with the balls still intact, or maybe they're doing the kind-of stupid naming scheme like ATI did and make a new generation based off relatively mid range cards? If there's no stock at NCIX and EVGA's only handing out TR's, how much longer theoretically 'till the release? If the card is indeed a 480 with the nuts intact, will it be the same price as 480 while 480 price drops, or more expensive, or what?

@NorthWolfe - The 480's a solid, solid card. Unfortunately, now that I can technically buy two 470's for the price of 1 480, it's a bit out of place. The GTX 460 will have to have prices dropped on it to give back the previous value it had. $200 for a card the beats the 465 and comes close to the 470 in some cases...Excellent.

Edit: Wait..GTX580 is apparently GF110, which is evolution of GF104 and technically not a 480 with balls still intact. Derp...
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One

Tags
110 spec , nvidia 580