Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2010, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
Kepler is a 28nm part and has no chance of seeing the light of day before 2H 2011 when both AMD and NV launch their 28nm parts. This thread is about NV's response to the 6000 series, if they even have one.

Maybe we are all just expecting too much from nVidia.
I honestly think they will keep Kepler on track with AMD's 28nm and bring their GF100 into maturity.

Perhaps we'll see 475's and 485's. And not 5XX series cards.
Their Scaling of the Fermi Core is very modular, which probably gives them good flexibility.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 15, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphikratous View Post
Keyword in his quote was DirectX 11.
This changes nothing. He can pick and chose DX11 to determin market share, I can pick and chose all PC sales. Under his logic this still mens nv AND amd are failures.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 16, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek View Post
GeForce GTX 580 Details:

512 CUDA Cores (vs 480 Fermi)
128 Texture Unites (vs 64 Fermi)
512bit Memory Bus (vs 384bit Fermi)
TDP: <300w
ETA: December 2010

Source: Nvidia working on GF100 successor

Looks to be an interesting Q4 with the AMD's Radeon 59XX series coming in November, and then the dual GPU Cayman cards coming in December.
Even if they do release such a GPU, I highly doubt it'll have all the specs listed here. That last disabled core thingy will probably be enabled and they'll just call it a GTX 490 or something.
Old October 16, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
This changes nothing. He can pick and chose DX11 to determin market share, I can pick and chose all PC sales. Under his logic this still mens nv AND amd are failures.

Under his logiq we talk about NOW and not what happen in the past. So the game is Nv against AMD NOW. In this debate AMD succed. Both have a market where they are better. Here the debate is specifiq to DX11 card and competition so we don't care about DX 10 and under card.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 16, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

MM, I think what sagath is saying (and rightly so is) that saying "XYZ is the suxorz and ABC are teh rulerz" is kind of pointless (and lame). Neither AMD nor NV "rule" the graphics market Intel does if you look at it one way, NV does if you look at it another and if you look at it a THIRD way AMD does! Cherry picking your data to suit your own POV is being at best disingenuous and and worst trolling. DX11 is certainly the future BUT right now it is only a small portion of the marketplace. more to the point....who really cares who is "king" at the moment? Pick what best suits you needs and budget and be happy. Why do certain peeps feel the need to denigrate everything they DIDNT pick in order to make themselves and their purchase "better"? This certainly isn't limited to the GPU arena but damn it sure is rampant in this area! Yes let the big 3 go at it hammer and tongs like they hate each other...but having CONSUMERS with no financial stake in the matter doing it is...well SILLY.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
MM, I think what sagath is saying (and rightly so is) that saying "XYZ is the suxorz and ABC are teh rulerz" is kind of pointless (and lame). Neither AMD nor NV "rule" the graphics market Intel does if you look at it one way, NV does if you look at it another and if you look at it a THIRD way AMD does! Cherry picking your data to suit your own POV is being at best disingenuous and and worst trolling. DX11 is certainly the future BUT right now it is only a small portion of the marketplace. more to the point....who really cares who is "king" at the moment? Pick what best suits you needs and budget and be happy. Why do certain peeps feel the need to denigrate everything they DIDNT pick in order to make themselves and their purchase "better"? This certainly isn't limited to the GPU arena but damn it sure is rampant in this area! Yes let the big 3 go at it hammer and tongs like they hate each other...but having CONSUMERS with no financial stake in the matter doing it is...well SILLY.

I know I totally understand what sagath is poiting at and I totally agree with it. My point is that this is about rumor for new DX11 GPU from nvidia in the hope to win some market share in the new DX11 market. So here, in this PRECISE situation, only Nvidia and ATI are to concider. Otherwise it would be like to concider a regular fuel engine in a caterpilar mine monster. So it's really debate oriented. Yes we can use the whole market but maybe it would be to large for the thread we have today which is oriented on a precise caracteristique of a card.

The hard point here is that no one in me, you sagath and I don't remember who putthe argument first, is wrong. Every point is right, the second is just more specific.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 16, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Anyone want to sell me a 480?
I may have two of them for sale. I will let you know when the 580s are out and available.That may be several months from now given the problem of release dates for Canada.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Perfectly said...!!!!.....I stll don't understand why so many have to "bash" the product they didn't choose......hell I'm happy with my products and could give "jack shvt" what happening on the other side of the fence, certainly wouldn't start bashing the color of the grass on that side......this actually tells me a lot about the "true" color of the grass on the other side ;)
Old October 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I may have two of them for sale. I will let you know when the 580s are out and available.That may be several months from now given the problem of release dates for Canada.
Awesome!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 17, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Jeez, and I just bought a 480. Ah, well, it's only Fudzilla, eff 'em.

If anything, we'll see the 485. If there is a serious competitor to the 6-series, it'll be Feb/March by the time we see it. As for Kepler....Q2 2011? By NV's clock that's more like Christmas next year. This still kinda messes me up though. I'm gonna be on the lookout

One thing I wanted to touch on though. The GTX "580" - even if you took a 480 and unlocked that disabled core (oh how I wish) I bet it'd work anyway. I got a 480 and honestly heat's not that bad. Hit 95C when I stress-tested it on FurMark; but the rest of the time it lingers in the upper 80's.

Ironically, the fan only goes up to something stupid like 74% even at 100% load. I cranked it up to 100% in EVGA Precision and sure it was audible, but I couldn't hear it over me BLOWING UP SH*T IN JC2 WITH EVERYTHING MAXED OUT INCLUDING 32X CSAA!!! Moral of the story: Don't be a pussy, crank your fan. If you're using this in an HTPC and you need "silence," eat your heart out and get a 5450 or something. If you have your computer by your bed and need to sleep, TURN DOWN THE FAN WHEN IT'S IDLE, OR TURN OFF YOUR F-ING COMPUTER! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One

Tags
110 spec , nvidia 580