Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Seagate Go Flex TV Review [LegitReviews] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/36405-seagate-go-flex-tv-review-legitreviews.html)

Bao September 20, 2010 12:52 PM

Seagate Go Flex TV Review [LegitReviews]

Whoa, first $100 class media streamer that doesn't fail at streaming?

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV HD Media Player Review - Seagate's GoFlex TV - A New FreeAgent Media Player - Legit Reviews

"We tested a large number of multimedia files including: MKV, AVI, M2TS, VOB, Blu-ray ISO, DVD ISO, WMV, MP4, MP3, FLAC, OGG, and even RMVB! Everyone of these files played with no stutter from our local drive, attached USB drive and over the Ethernet. To be honest, I was so shocked that I had no problem with any of these files, I streamed them multiple times (including the Blu-ray ISO burn I did of "Up" and "Alice in Wonderland"). "

FiXT September 20, 2010 01:00 PM

Nice! I had said this about the WDTV Live when it came out; while I appreciate how tiny and unintrusive the device is, when you add a external HDD to the mix, it all of a sudden become twice as bulky, you have more chords to deal with, and less options for mounting - Why no just make one where you can install a 2.5' drive inside, especially given that they are so cheap these days.

At the time, the Popcorn hour was the only one to offer that, and it is huge! But now Seagate is on the ball :biggrin:

Only question... can I install a WD hard drive into it :bleh:

zoob September 20, 2010 01:21 PM

You can install a 2.5" drive into a Patriot Box Office. I used one briefly and it streamed over ethernet some of my 1080P x264 MKV's without issue. Interface isn't the nicest, but it works well enough.

AkG September 20, 2010 01:34 PM

Guys its just another Realtek media player. Unless you OWN a GOFlex portable drive its not a better option then others out there. PLUS the newer higher cap goflex portables will NOT fit and you can not just stick a 2.5" hdd into it. Its designed for the original (500gb or less) goflex portable drives and ONLY them. Also the UI while good it is a bit more clunky then the Asus or Patriot UI. I have all three and have used all three.

On the upside it does play youtube and the like via the internet. Pros and cons to all of them. Still prefer the WD offerings to them as the realteks cant up convert.

Bao September 20, 2010 01:37 PM

I was more impressed with the ethernet streaming claims. Assuming the LR guy isn't lying, then playing 1080P blu ray back ups over LAN and stutter free is an exciting development to me. I've used the Asus O!Play, Patriot Box Office, and the WD TV Live, they all fail for 1080P over LAN.

I was so frustrated that I just got an HTPC (Acer Revo 3610) instead.

martin_metal_88 November 4, 2010 07:12 AM

Still prefer the patriot and the Asus. Seriously how many people will buy this and return it saying dumb didn't work only because they use the wrong HDD.